Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Fallen

NanoRox

WIP pic.  Just for fun...will put it up for sale when done.  def a unique piece for a niche tank.  idea is of a fallen angel cast down and forever made part of the ocean realm 

Lots more work to do but basic form is set

fallen wip.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow 7
12 minutes ago, NanoRox said:

WIP pic.  Just for fun...will put it up for sale when done.  def a unique piece for a niche tank.  idea is of a fallen angel cast down and forever made part of the ocean realm 

Lots more work to do but basic form is set

fallen wip.jpg

Very cool. 😊

2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Cool! What size is it?

I would love to see more work like this. An old encrusted dragon skull for nerds maybe 😉

this one is 12x13 x 11.5 high.  would fit well in a Biocube 32 or maybe waterboz 30.2 AIO for example.  Yep...definitely going to do a dragon and also would like to do an Egyptian pharaoh mask or Anubis 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, NanoRox said:

this one is 12x13 x 11.5 high.  would fit well in a Biocube 32 or maybe waterboz 30.2 AIO for example.  Yep...definitely going to do a dragon and also would like to do an Egyptian pharaoh mask or Anubis 

I will keep an eye out for Anubis or the dragon. I need another rock for my 80 and wanted to add something like this but everything I found online was tacky.

• Like 1

Damn you have come a long way since the first nanorox.. I'm not into the fallen angel theme but really nice work!! Turning frag rocks into art😎👊🤙

1 hour ago, debbeach13 said:

WOW! Is this going to lead to taking requests?

Absolutely!

48 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Damn you have come a long way since the first nanorox.. I'm not into the fallen angel theme but really nice work!! Turning frag rocks into art😎👊🤙

Understandable.  My wife thinks its creepy too! lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
18 minutes ago, NanoRox said:

Quick update.  still work in progress

fallen wip2.jpg

I like the detailing. 

It reminds me of Hellboy

0123BDBD-5702-4A71-B355-A81CBC0028D7.jpeg.0189a918ff73877ce85db745cdf92246.jpeg

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I like the detailing. 

It reminds me of Hellboy

0123BDBD-5702-4A71-B355-A81CBC0028D7.jpeg.0189a918ff73877ce85db745cdf92246.jpeg

very similar indeed.  :-)

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Tempestas said:

That looks amazing!

How did you manage to get the support right? Or is it a trade secret?

support?  Not sure I understand what you mean.  I don't mind sharing (within reason 😉).  

12 hours ago, Dafish said:

Wow that is going to look sweet in a tank 

Thank you!  yeah I am really looking forward to someone getting some corals on this. 

• Like 1

Most sculptures I've seen like that use a metal mesh to support the form in order to save on weight. Judging from your photos the head appears hollow, which makes it less likely to be able to support itself.

Obviously a metal mesh would leech into saltwater, so I'm curious what you're using.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Tempestas said:

Most sculptures I've seen like that use a metal mesh to support the form in order to save on weight. Judging from your photos the head appears hollow, which makes it less likely to be able to support itself.

Obviously a metal mesh would leech into saltwater, so I'm curious what you're using.

I'm assuming this is the master and the rest will be resin moulded from this so structure wouldn't matter as much? That's how I would have done it, but thats my 40K background coming out

52 minutes ago, Tempestas said:

No metal whatsoever.  The product I sculpt with is called Habitat Black (used in aquarium and zoo displays).  I create a Styrofoam core to sculpt over and then dissolve the foam once the putty is hardened.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I'm assuming this is the master and the rest will be resin moulded from this so structure wouldn't matter as much? That's how I would have done it, but thats my 40K background coming out

No this is a one off.  I do make masters and then cast resin copies but this is a more custom piece. (would require A LOT of silicone to make a mold).  I am making quite a bit more custom pieces now.  It's a part of the business I enjoy quite a bit. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, NanoRox said:

No metal whatsoever.  The product I sculpt with is called Habitat Black (used in aquarium and zoo displays).  I create a Styrofoam core to sculpt over and then dissolve the foam once the putty is hardened.  

Oooh fancy, what do you use to dissolve the styrofoam? Acetone?

Thanks. I would never have guessed.

I was also half thinking like @Ratvan that you might be making a master, but again the cost of the silicon would make that piece crazy expensive

• Like 2
  • Recommended Discussions