Top Shelf Aquatics

Experiences with Flux Rx for algae issue

Butchy21

Looking for some help with getting a bryopsis infestation under control.  Have been running the same tank for over 5 years now and suddenly a bunch of my coral plugs have bryopsis growing on them.  I have tried to do spot treatments with hydrogen peroxide and manually scrub it off which keeps it at bay for several weeks but it keeps coming back.  These all grew fast because my RODI filters needed replacing sooner than I had expected so I used some crappy top-off water for awhile.

Have been considering a treatment with Flux Rx - I do not have a bottle in front of me so I have not dove into looking at their suggested protocol yet but I believe you treat, then perform no water changes for several weeks.

-Has anyone used it on their tank?  

Any personal experiences would be a great help, thanks!

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

I'm considering getting this as well since I think I might have Bryopsis in my tank from (you might guess) a frag from my LFS.

I was browsing some Youtube videos about using Flux Rx (Fluconazole). They say the dosage is 20mg/ 1 gal. Treatment period is 14 days. RealReefingTV has finished a Bryopsis treatment about 2 weeks ago. Mike's Reef and Cyclone Productions have had really good success from what it seems as well. Eat Sleep Reef however didn't have much success with it.

A really in-depth look at the Flucon treatment can be read on another forum. NCreefguy documented his treatment for his tank. (You should see the before photos). Others have also put their input on that thread and reported very similar successful results.

On 2/28/2020 at 12:38 PM, Butchy21 said:

Looking for some help with getting a bryopsis infestation under control.

I'm interested in helping you via the natural method.  No need for antibiotics just to treat algae!  Tell me if you're interested.

On 3/4/2020 at 7:24 PM, Diamonds x Pearls said:

I might have Bryopsis in my tank

Ditto.   Let me know if interested.

On 3/4/2020 at 7:24 PM, Diamonds x Pearls said:

I'm considering getting this as well since I think I might have Bryopsis in my tank from (you might guess) a frag from my LFS.

I was browsing some Youtube videos about using Flux Rx (Fluconazole). They say the dosage is 20mg/ 1 gal. Treatment period is 14 days. RealReefingTV has finished a Bryopsis treatment about 2 weeks ago. Mike's Reef and Cyclone Productions have had really good success from what it seems as well. Eat Sleep Reef however didn't have much success with it.

A really in-depth look at the Flucon treatment can be read on another forum. NCreefguy documented his treatment for his tank. (You should see the before photos). Others have also put their input on that thread and reported very similar successful results.

Ya same -  I think mine came from a LFS as well...  I will have to take a look at that forum that you mentioned.  Will definitely be helpful in choosing a more natural approach versus treatment.

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
6 hours ago, Butchy21 said:

Ya same -  I think mine came from a LFS as well...  I will have to take a look at that forum that you mentioned.  Will definitely be helpful in choosing a more natural approach versus treatment.

I just thought of this. Make sure it's 100% Bryopsis and not a green hair of some sort. Green hair algae is a big umbrella term that covers many species. The stuff in my tank may not be Bryopsis since it is commonly believed that few CUC animals eat it. However I had reason to believe either my margarita or cerith snails ate my "bryopsis." Of course they didn't eat all of it, but within about a week I did notice at least half being consumed. Of course, I still have some sprouting in other places and I'm still planning to go ahead and treat my tank as if I had it still.

Flucon will treat GHA anyway, just takes longer (4-6 weeks compared to 2 weeks).