inTank Media Baskets

29g - First Tank Build - Starting at Zero - Shut down

Hasted

37 minutes ago, Hasted said:

I haven't and that's one of my top choices! I have heard some bad stories about chopped fish, so I would have to get a cover for it. Thanks for the suggestion! I feed on others experiences.

I could see how fish could possibly get sucked in from the backside of the pump...but it would have to be smaller fish in my opinion.  I haven't experienced this...and hope I never do.  

20200526_172505.thumb.jpg.9c0d15688f7a780373b521f2db313e1e.jpg

Today is one week with the new corals. Everything other than the Splatter Spongodes Montipora seem to be settling in. The SSMonti has a bleached tip still and only one green side. Other half is black. Moved it last night to more flow and more light to see if it colors up. 

20200526_172543.thumb.jpg.204367e2aa9218fae6fa0fb1bf830674.jpg

I am also doing tests of the big 3 every other day just so I get a better idea of what my tank is consuming. It isn't much it seems, but at least I know. Slow and steady is what I am aiming for. 

Going to slowly chop the pegs of some of these frags and give them a more permanent home. These racks aren't appealing and traps detritus the snails can't get to.

Thanks as always for stopping by! Nothing too crazy to report. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Everything in the tank is doing great other than two things. The main on is my Lava Bomb Aussie Lord.

How it looked before it was sent:

TSR25-23-143_1800x1800.thumb.jpg.f78f51d0541e1cd0dab5a33dbae23a06.jpg

How it has looked for me:

20200606_152901.thumb.jpg.9a7a9814ece6396b30dd6841859c5c1b.jpg

Barely opens up more than this. I have had it in two different places so far, too. I didn't want to move it around TOO often so I have been trying to let it settle. No luck so far...

This is my second most desired coral behind my hammer. I definitely do not want to lose it if possible. 

Any tips and/or pointers here?

Low light (almost on sandbed), medium indirect flow. Previous spot was same light and less flow.

Parameters to help:

751921957_Screenshot_20200606-153416_AquariumNote.jpg.ef94d4fb09a03bbaebbcfba84340a3a6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is going great! Extra Zoa heads here and there. Also, looks like my Blasto has a head just now starting. Excited about that!!

Still issues with my Aussie Lord. It refuses to open more than just a little.

20200619_121035.thumb.jpg.dfc070d68780c4ebcbbd8eedc66f7165.jpg

I have always noticed the Feather Duster in the left part of it. It also seems to have another something on the top right of it. 

Could both of these things be irritating it, not letting it open fully? I can dip it if so.

Phantomwerkz
5 hours ago, Hasted said:

Just wanted to update everyone on these best friends recently added:

20200625_154343.thumb.jpg.e3d6b37de16a7337bdf43e309cfd350e.jpg

Nice! That was what I was planning until switching gears and going with the Diamond Goby and Banded Coral Shrimp. Now half my tank is a constant excavation site! I wanted my sand to get worked over... mission accomplished! lol

• Like 1

Everything is going swimmingly. 

Here is an updated livestock list:

2 Clownfish - Black Photon

1 Yellow Watchman Goby

1 Pistol Shrimp

Snails:

1 Conch

2-3 Bumblebee

2-3 Cerith 

2 Astraea Turbo

2 Nass.

Coral:

Radioactive Hammer Coral

Lava Bomb Aussie Lord (Never liked my tank, barely alive I feel like)

Phantasm Blastomussa

Mayan Moon Favia

Acid Rain Leptoseris 

Green Birdnest (doing slightly less than fine)

Splatter Goniastrea

Neon Spongodes Montipora

Cotton Candy Chalice

Miami Hurricane Chalice

Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoas 

Rainbow Infusion Zoas

Rainbow Incinerators Zoas

BamBam Zoas

Scrambled Eggs (?) Zoas

Mystery forest green (?) Zoas

Keeping up with my weekly water changes that come to about 15%. I have gotten into the bad habit of testing, seeing a good number, and not recording it. I went yesterday to look at something and only a few tests were put in, scattered across a couple weeks... that doesn't help much.

Enough of that. HUGE news!

I bought a Red Sea XL 300! Which is not a nano... 65g Display with a total volume of 80g.

I want to thank everyone who has given me suggestions, recommendations, etc. With all that, it made me comfortable enough to invest money into an upgrade! I am glad I started small, even though lots of people say to go larger at first.

I am going to drain most of the water from the 29g and move it a few feet over. I am going to have it running while the XL 300 cycles. Once that is good to go, transfer everything over the course of a few weeks. 

At that point, I think I am just going to make the 29g my QT. I thought about setting it back up in my office. I think if I do put a nano in the office, it will be even smaller (10-15g). That will be after a while as my wife and I are planning to start a family and I do NOT want to try to manage a new born, a 1 yr old tank, and a brand new nano all at one time (Goal is to get new XL300 set up and coasting before anything big happens).

Going to be a couple weeks to a couple months before everything is really chugging along. I will post here still while all that is happening. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Going so smooth!

1709894800_Screenshot_20200711-184922_AquariumNote.jpg.ed7896885d55105fd078304153b60b53.jpg

Ignore the red. I can't figure out how to change the units for salinity...

Also! New additions! First time in a while!

20200713_161430.thumb.jpg.0e31f27ee73bd99f4cfcd8f3f382c7e6.jpg

I was going to wait until after my tank move, but I couldn't resist! Second hammer. You can see the color difference between the old one in back and the new one in front. Also, a Candy Cane. Freshly added at the time of this pic! I will update when open and happy!

Also! BIG UPDATE TIME.

If you have been following, you know I am upgrading. I was told 4-6 weeks until my new tank arrives last week. Swung by shop today and was told by Thursday!!! I have SO MUCH to do! And also having company for the first time in the new home on Wednesday! So much to do for that first!

• 2 weeks later...

Things are going great. Just keeping up with water changes, testing, and light cleaning. Thankfully the tank isn't making me work too hard!

The new hammer is amazing next to the old one. Being opposite colored gives the corner a great look. 

Looks like I haven't posted this yet, so here is a thing:

Screenshot_20200720-213413_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f373e5359c24fec550ecd1907ea6f16b.jpg

• Wow 1

20200726_144052.thumb.jpg.44da475bf011c906f4b00d9424e8f270.jpg

Things have been shifted around! 29g got drained and moved over. Red Sea XL 300 stand is now in its spot! Tank is too heavy to solo, so this is as far as I can get today. 

Exciting things!

• Like 1

Down to the last bit of life of the 29g. Will be transferring the rocks, corals, lights, and fish once I fill the XL300 and it tests 0. Could be days (pre cycled rocks), could be weeks. No rush.

20200728_162316.thumb.jpg.e7b50e7253e4545533e545bad230e8c6.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2020 at 8:50 PM, Hasted said:

Down to the last bit of life of the 29g. Will be transferring the rocks, corals, lights, and fish once I fill the XL300 and it tests 0. Could be days (pre cycled rocks), could be weeks. No rush.

20200728_162316.thumb.jpg.e7b50e7253e4545533e545bad230e8c6.jpg

Is the 29G completely offline now?

46 minutes ago, Phantomwerkz said:

Is the 29G completely offline now?

It is! I completely moved everything to my Red Sea XL 300 starting on Aug 1st (I think?). It is currently sitting in the basement ready to become a QT.

However! I bought a new AIO nano tank literally hours ago. I will be making a new nano journal when it arrives!

Here is a current pic of the XL300 through some coral glasses (hence the amber color).

20201017_222842.thumb.jpg.71b76973d19ab06be3d68aac5226d931.jpg

I hope your 29g is chugging along! I haven't check in on you in a while!

• Like 1

Still like that stand setup. 😉

Yup, slowly plugging along. Thinking about upgrading to a Nero3 Powehead and replacing my eFlux 660's but other than than just rolling along. Livestock is set with what I wanted and all seem to be performing their "jobs" as I wanted. Tank is really only 6-months old but coraline growth is looking good and just trying to maintain a balance on everything.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Phantomwerkz said:

Still like that stand setup. 😉

Yup, slowly plugging along. Thinking about upgrading to a Nero3 Powehead and replacing my eFlux 660's but other than than just rolling along. Livestock is set with what I wanted and all seem to be performing their "jobs" as I wanted. Tank is really only 6-months old but coraline growth is looking good and just trying to maintain a balance on everything.

Looking at a Nero3 for my new tank (got shipping confirmation today!) Probably would have snagged it for the 29g also! Let me know if/when you get it!!

The 29g stand did come out quite well! I still have it all together and keeping it nice. Offered the whole thing to a buddy last week as he is trying to get into the hobby. He ended up finding an 80g rimless tank so skipped out on my offer. 

Hey everyone! New journal is officially up! It will be tracking my slow adventure with my new Waterbox Peninsula Mini 15 gallon tank!

Feel free to stop by and see the progress!