Coral Vue Hydros

Stand swap... startup now or wait?

Phantomwerkz

Looks like I may have to go into a holding pattern... not completely happy with the current old stand that we were looking to reuse. I don't like the non-matching hood, so was going to run without but I'm also not totally happy with light mount configuration. My wife would prefer a hood setup, which I'm not opposed to if it looks good. I can't find what I really want but have enough ideas that I think I can get one built that we both will be happy with. The downside here of course is that means MORE waiting. I know, I know, patience is the game here but I've already pushed back a couple of months and not sure I want to wait another (or more).

I basically have three options:

• Run the current setup as is. Old stand, glass top w/o hood and Current USA LED lights w/brackets.
  • Start w/current setup as above but get a new custom stand w/hood assembly built and then drain tank to move into new stand (assuming I can leave the sand alone in it? 30-40#? I figure all live rock would come out during transfer)
  • Wait... until new stand assembly is built and start everything fresh then.

I'm just worried mostly about disturbing the sand bed if I did a stand swap and messing up my tank stability (assuming everything is cycled and stable when the new stand is completed.)

What would you do? Suggestions and advice most appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Phantomwerkz

My son and I are still drawing up a more built in stand with attached opening hood, but I'm thinking again about going with an interim stand to get things rolling. I think it will be a decent compromise that my wife can live with for now. We'll have to completely drain the tank to do the stand swap but I'm also going to plan on picking up another 29g tank and prepping it just in case. I figure if I have one already it will be like a spare tire... never need it unless I don't have it.

• Haha 1