Cultivated Reef

Yellow Watchman Goby experts

Bun

After moving the tank from our old apartment and re-aquascaping, our YWG is doing something that we're trying to figure out:

1) moving floating pieces of chaetomorpha or unattached tubeworms or small rubble in and out of the "burrow"

2) snagging snails (ceriths and nass) and dragging them back to the burrow, and keeping them there (even when the snails try to escape while YWG isn't looking, snags them again and drags them back to the hole)

Is our YWG watching too much Martha Stewart? Home decorating maven YWG? Maybe it's watching my wife redecorate after our move? Is it lonely? Is the YWG trying to pretty up the home to meet a mate?

Some background - it looks like the ywg really likes the new aquascaping, previously would hide under one of two caves but now with the new rocksetup is all over the tank perching and watching what's going on...

As for other inhabitants (other than snails and porcelain crab), a docile red firefish (who used to share a burrow with the YWG until re-aquascaping), a tiny tiger pistol shrimp who we haven't yet seen out the open (and hasn't paired up with ywg), and two crazy skunk cleaners who pick the crap out of YWG...

Any idea what this ywg is up to? Any expert info is appreciated!

B

he's just decorating his home. perfectly normal.i wouldn't add amate unless i knew the sex of both fish for sure, and i had a second home to put one of them in case the budding romance went south. and just so you know gobies are a ***** to catch.

mine hase a couple of snail shells at the door to his place. he and the red banded hi fin have paired up kinda funny to see. at night they move the shells to cover the entrance to their cave. really funny to watch. it happens every night right are the lights are turned out.

Archived