Pod Your Reef

Light configuration question

kimura

on my nano i only use 32w smartlight but in my 55 reef i use 2 175wMH at 10K and am succesfull with clams. with pendant lights the heat is not that noticable even with my air conditioning set at 75 the heater still comes on but i would try to put the pendant as close as i could get it without changing the water temp

So one vote for MH huh.....

If you can, can you post a pic of you setup. It sounds nice, i'd like to check it out. Or let me know what your setup is and maintainence is.

I would like to keep a clam and one or two easy SPS's. I have a tank with a 12" in height and I plan on placing my SPS's and Clam higher, more close to the lighting. I will be dosing the water with B-Ionic and watching the quality a bit more.

I have a 36w PC w/ a 50/50 which will be replaced. I am considering on getting 2x55w PC's. My question is which bulb configuration would best fit my needs:

1) 10k & 03 on the 55watts and 10k on the 36w

2) 10k x2 on the 55w and 03 on the 36w

or......

3) 175w MH 10k with 03 on 36w.

With the PC's I could do the dusk effects and overall could save $$$ on energy. With the MH setup I would keep the MH for 6 hours a day then just have the 03 on for another 4-6 hours longer. What do you think?

I realize that the MH could be overkill and the heating would be a major factor. I have a pendant setup for it and I would hang it 10-12" about the tank.

Will the 2 10k's provide enough intensity for the SPS's and Clams?

Archived