SaltCritters.com

Corals dying

LinkEB3

Evening,
I recently upgraded to the ai Prime in my 13.5 fluval. Had it setup for 50% acclimation for 30 days, half way through i put an anemone in, and turned it to 100%.. ive bleached one coral and killed another, the cyanobis out of control - I did put an RFG in today, the stuff it blew up amazed me. I also had a day two weeks ago without power for 14 hours, tank dropped to 64, three dead fish. I changed the light back 4 days ago, today my torch melted.

mom top of everything else, I sprayed up a bunch of crap the other day and did what I’d consider an emergency water change, the salinity hadn’t settled, went as high as .29 for about 24 hours until I noticed and did another change.

also found my chaeto refugium had basically melted inside chamber 1 with intank and an external light.

This tanks been amazing for almost 8 months, the biggest change is the light as far as I can tell. I’ve checked all the parameters, calcium’s a bit high (dosing every few days with polypone) amonia spiked to .5 after the power loss, but is back under control.

aside from kicking up the flow, this light has to be set right, I don’t believe I have. I took 20% off the BRS ideal settings for mixed tank.

8526F743-FF72-4790-834B-9BC27F1F8FB4.jpeg

F57180B4-C272-429B-80F6-962C72CCAA60.jpeg

752C15F6-2FD6-4CC4-8A2B-F628329F370B.jpeg

EEDD8F3E-0013-4D0A-9B52-41A1D73A7B33.jpeg

There's a lot of factors that most likely was a combined cause of death.

Power outage for long periods with no heat or oxygen supply can cause a dramatic affect on tank inhabitants.

Salinity change that was rapid can lead to issues.

Increase in lighting too rapidly can definitely cause a problem. It's best to do 3-5% weekly increases. 

Going up to 100% all at once can fry corals.

If Ca is high, what's alk at? Alk is very important and major swings can cause major issues.

• Like 1

8.2 last time checked.

its a lot going on at once, especially with the power outage. It seems the light highlighted issues I didn’t know I was having, I’ve been fighting flow since the beginning. I’ve never had a coral melt, they all even survived the temp drop.

i did run an extension cord to my second story window from my car and keep the heat going for 10/14 hours, but 50watt in a house with no heat.. hovered around 72.

this thick film throughout my rocks happened after after the light, it appears to be growing over my melting zoanthids.

this also wasn’t a stock light to AI Prime, some before and after:

E5763C09-15E9-4A0C-B8BD-DD5D71DBDE68.jpeg

02FFE31F-F7C5-4BC5-BF0A-F09C891CA40A.jpeg

1AFD0D5E-71BC-4CC1-91FE-F321B16A37A6.jpeg