Cultivated Reef

Rapid LED par 38 help

Jradd87

4 minutes ago, Lingwendil said:

Keep in mind that particular light is only royal blue and blue- no whites or additional colors... 

This may be more what you would want-

https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-PAR38/dp/B073V5V5JP?th=1

I also was looking at this bulb that is full spectrum. No sure if this would be a better option 

https://www.amazon.com/KINGBO-Aquarium-Lighting-Spectrum-Saltwater/dp/B01M0PF72P/ref=asc_df_B01M0PF72P/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241976029838&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11597980425161546563&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012085&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-400397917889&psc=1

On 2/18/2020 at 9:50 AM, Ratvan said:

I think that with the 60 degree optics you should have a 12" x12" coverage, depending on how high you mount the light. 

👍

The 80 degree lenses can be considered 90 degree lenses for our purpose and make for easy math:  The mounting height will also be the radius of your light coverage

So 6" off the water with 90 degree lenses = 12" diameter of coverage.

(80 degrees will be really close to that.)

60 degree lenses, on the other hand, require some math.  (not going to show my work....look up an Online Triangle Calculator like me!! 😉)

60 degrees is about 30% stronger compared with the other lenses, so yield about 30% less coverage and 30% more intensity at the same mounting height.

Or to look at it another way, that you'd need a 10" mounting height (about 60% higher 🤯) to get the same 12" diameter of coverage and same intensity.  Roughly.

What's better is only relevant to the local install....higher mounting might be better because the light can be hidden, or because it's easier to work in the tank, or...lower might be better because it's harder to see from the couch, or whatever.

Maybe consider some TUNZE® LED's that are mounted inside the tank, even underwater?

LED full spectrum

• Wow 1