ReefCleaners.org

Need help with selecting filter and wave maker

GJerry

Right now I have a 29gallon tank with an aquaclear 70 and 2 power heads that are 300 gph each. The aquaclear is 300 gph. My aquaclear is having issues and I am going to get a new filter. I have decided on the tunze Comline 3162 (70-225gph) or tunze Comline 3163 (475 gph). I was also going to replace the 2 power heads (600 gph combine) and replace it with current eflux wave pump. One is rated 210-1050gph and the other option is rated for 420-2100 gph. This tank houses four fish, soft corals, and lps. The tank has about 18lbs of rock and a 2 inch deep sand bed so the water volume is not exactly 29 gallons. I need advice on which combination of these items I should go with. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Should I go with the variable power filter and just keep it cranked to 225gph or go with the fixed power that filters 475 gph? 

Thank you 

I take it you mean return pump instead of filter. I'd go with a more powerful DC controllable pump if you can swing it, and stay away from the eFlux pumps. I had a couple and they didn't last long, the controller is cheap, and they tended to really slow down over time.  Otherwise, just get an adequately sized AC pump for the return, You don't need but a 5-10x turnover rate with the return, lower than 10x is better in my opinion as they water isn't rushing through the back chamber. and look into the Tunze nanostream DC wavemaker, great product, i have one in my 13.5 LPS tank.

w

No, I I mean filter.  I don’t have a sump. I currently have an aquaclear hob filter and am replacing that with a tunze in take filter. It is a filter that you pack with sponges,media and put in the tank instead of hob. Need to know if I should go with the model with 225 gph or the one with 475gph

On 2/17/2020 at 1:43 PM, GJerry said:

My aquaclear is having issues and I am going to get a new filter. I have decided on the tunze Comline 3162 (70-225gph) or tunze Comline 3163 (475 gph).

I'd say consider a Tunze Reefpack 250 combo if you haven't already. It's got the mid-sized 3162 Multifilter (can hide your heater and ATO sensor) as well as the matching 9004 protein skimmer ($220):

Link: Comline® Reefpack 250

Comline® Reefpack 250

Or even consider just the 9004 skimmer from that combo for $155 and skip the filter:

Link: Comline® DOC Skimmer 9004

Comline® DOC Skimmer 9004

If you do go for the larger 3168 MultiFilter, it doesn't have a space for a heater like the smaller one does.

(FYI:  I'm pretty sure that flow on all their Multifilter models can be turned down.  👍)

On 2/17/2020 at 1:43 PM, GJerry said:

I was also going to replace the 2 power heads (600 gph combine) and replace it with current eflux wave pump. One is rated 210-1050gph and the other option is rated for 420-2100 gph.

I'd keep the two pumps you have for flow vs consolidating to one pump.

But if you think more flow is needed, it would be better to upgrade both of your current flow pumps and not to depend on the filter for primary flow. 

I think two eFlux pumps would be fine if you like them, but get whatever size is appropriate for your tank, nothing too big. 

I also like the suggestion someone made for any of the Tunze nanostream pumps...6015, 6025, 6020 or 6040 (DC) would all be GOOD candidates for your tank, depending how you want to use them.  A pair of any of them would be very nice, although the 6015 is a small GPH upgrade from what you have at only 475 GPH.