Cultivated Reef

Heater Recommendations for 3.8 Gallons?

RedTheReefer

Hey guys. I'm looking to start a pico on my 3.8 Gallon Lifegard Aquatics AIO tank and I cannot decide on a heater. There are just so many options. 

The back chamber of this tank has very limited space and I need something pretty small/slim.

I was looking at this:

https://aquaforestaquarium.com/products/copy-of-archaea-mini-aquarium-heater-25w-ultra-slim?variant=7476199041

But it is out of stock. Any recommendations on a good small heater?

• Like 1
MainelyReefer
20 hours ago, RedTheReefer said:

I run this in my 2.5 and it isn’t accurate at all.  It’s almost a year old but it should last longer IMO.  I think I have the thermostat cranked to 85+ and it holds steady at 75.  Super in accurate and I’m concerned one day it will decide to be accurate again!  I’ve had better luck with an external thermostat and a cobalt aquatics mini-therm on my other tanks.  If there is 6” in the back chamber I would consider the neotherm 25w by cobalt aquatics too

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
45 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

I run this in my 2.5 and it isn’t accurate at all. 

That's a bummer! I know many people recommend this heater, and I have been using it on and off for a couple years. 

• Like 2
Gourami Swami

Do you have reason to believe you will need a heater? Is tank in an unheated room, or near a drafty window or something?

I usually don't use a heater in a small tank like this because the pump will keep the water heated within the acceptable range usually. I also might worry that with such small volume, if a heater malfunctioned the water would get hot very quickly. I have found that without the heater, in a normal "room temperature" 70ish room, the tank will stay between 72 (lights off) and 76-78 (lights on).

If you do need a heater, for a slim option I have used this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZNX5G3F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have no problems with it.

2 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

I run this in my 2.5 and it isn’t accurate at all.  It’s almost a year old but it should last longer IMO.  I think I have the thermostat cranked to 85+ and it holds steady at 75.  Super in accurate and I’m concerned one day it will decide to be accurate again!  I’ve had better luck with an external thermostat and a cobalt aquatics mini-therm on my other tanks.  If there is 6” in the back chamber I would consider the neotherm 25w by cobalt aquatics too.

I have a Cobalt 50w neotherm and I test fitted it. The heater is actually slightly too tall and isn't fully submerged in the rear chamber. I looked at the 10W minitherm but wouldn't that be underpowered? The 20W minitherm is actually taller at 7.5 inches than the neotherms...

• 1 month later...