Innovative Marine Aquariums

Macroalgae with perching gobies?

Gobynose

Hi All,

I am in the process of starting up my first saltwater tank. It’s a 20 gallon high and for now I’m planning on live rock, a pair of green banded gobies, and a clean up crew. I’d like to add a peppermint shrimp or two down the line. I’m not sure when/if I’ll add corals since I want to make sure everything is stable and also I want to make sure I’m really able to be in this hobby for the long haul before spending money on upgraded lighting and corals.

Anyway, I know that macroalgae can be grown with some corals, with care, but that macroalgae can also smother corals and kill them. I worry about my future gobies being in the tank with just rock though. And, I find macros gorgeous and would possibly consider doing a mostly macro tank and forgoing corals all together. Would green banded gobies appreciate one or two pieces of macroalgae? And, if I put macros in my tank is removing them as simple as pulling out the clumps or do they make spores so once they’re in there it’ll be a constant battle to make the tank macro-free. 

Final question, if they are removable and the gobies would appreciate them could I grow a couple under the standard aqueon daylight LED bulb? That’s what came with my tank. 

I know I’d have to provide iron at least for red macros. Anything for green species?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

The only macros that are going to smother your corals are the really vigorous ones, like caulerpa. The rest are fine with some occasional pruning, or may not grow over corals at all. Red macros tend to be more chill, and codium. Calcified macros are also fairly slow-growing, and some, like mermaid's fan and shaving brush, will just grow as a single unit wherever you put them. 

Gobies will be fine with just rock, as long as they have places in said rocks to hide. They do appreciate things to perch in, though, so they sure wouldn't complain about algae. 

Most macros only produce spores if they "go sexual", which happens when conditions go bad enough that they turn entirely into spores in an effort to propagate and survive. Caulerpas are most likely to do this, and slow-growing ones don't tend to do that. I'd suggest red macroalgae species like dragon's tongue, maybe some chaeto, definitely some codium. Calcium-containing algaes like halimedas are another good choice that don't spread too much and aren't likely to go sexual. In short, yes, macros can generally just be pulled out. 

Check out ReefCleaners.com and live-plants.com, look for things you like the look of, and google them. Probably the mid-to-lower-light ones would be fine under your LED. Though supplies on things are a bit low for online buys, what with the whole pandemic thing. Ebay may work, too. 

You can make a really nice reef-looking tank with an assortment of macros. If you decide later on that you'd like to add some corals, it isn't too difficult.