inTank Media Baskets

Help ID Alien Anemone!!!

zoothefreak

Well I know I shouldnt really be putting stuff I dunno about in my tank but it was irresistable at the time.... remember i said my LFS and me are like buddies giving me freebies all the time... well this time I was looking at RBTAs and toying with the idea but of course I know its only after at least 6 months and my tank's only been runnin for 4... so he gave me this little rock anemone free to test my water...

so far even he doesnt really know anything about it just that he says it doesnt really need strong lighting or current and doesnt grow bigger than a bottlecap... so please help me ID it if anyone might know a thing or two about it... its pretty colourful for a rock anemone if it is one and very tiny too...

woah really? but he's been keeping a few all attached to LR which he sells and they never seem to get any bigger than a 50 cents Singapore coin hmmm say the size of one and a half coke bottlecap... but if its a BTA then I'm in trouble...

it's a green rock anemone. i have one in my tank. and it's harmless if it's not in contact with anything else. they look just like a mini bubble tip, but they don't get very big. mine's about 2" in diameter. here's a pic of mine.

481743rockanemone.jpg

Ahhhhh... did a little reading on them after u guys ID it... its likened to even aiptasia... screw me for putting it in my nano blindly... but my question now is how can I just keep it but prevent it from doubling and spreading overrunning the tank? or If I cant do that, then remove it without harming it?

zoothefreak, what you have is a harmless rock anemone. nothing like aiptaisia. just make sure you have it where it won't be in contact with any corals. it won't double and spread to overtake your tank. i've had mine for almost 5 months now, and i even feed it occasionally. have you ever seen the stalk(foot)? if so, is it a bright neon green? if it's the same thing i have, than you don't need to worry about removing it from your tank.

and cesar, no it doesn't move around the tank. i let it attach itself to a small rock, which it did immediately. and it hasn't moved since.....

AReeferIsExpensive

its actually a strand of majano....NOTHING like a rock anemone and doesnt look even close to it. You know how youve seen like 30 different versions of aiptasia? Well this is the prettiest kind of majano there is. I own 2 of those guys and i also own 3 rock anemones.

This is my fav majano because they dont spread really. I had a random one pop up on the glass one day on the other side of the tank but removed it and since then i havent seen anymore spreading. They stop growing at about 2inches in diameter, whereas rock anemones get around 5.5inches.

If you feed it, it will start doubling in size! There IS a chance of it spreading bceause the place i got them from (roozens) i talked to another guy there who said he woke up to about 20 of these guys one day but ive kept mine for almost a year. ETOH is good nuked his with joes juice (JJ wont kill anemones unless they are pests) so it wouldnt be hard to handle if they did start spreading.

Keep it!

heres a pic of one of mine

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=majano

So, is this one of those majano things as well? I have been trying to figure out exactly what these are for the longest time! One hitchiked on a rock. They multiply rapidly, about two new ones per day. I'm going to have to go on pest patrol here soon!

greenthing.jpg

Archived