Cultivated Reef

AI Prime 16 fixed versus flex mount?

Gakarl100

Any reason to go one over the other? Everything seems to have a reason in this hobby so figured I’d ask opinions...  I think I’d like a adjustable fixed mount but I could see the advantages of a flex as well. Thoughts...?

Flex mounts look better, but always start to droop over time and the adjustable metal mount won't. Get whichever you like better - the flex mount is only $30 so it isn't super expensive to replace when it starts to wear out.

20 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Flex mounts look better, but always start to droop over time and the adjustable metal mount won't. Get whichever you like better - the flex mount is only $30 so it isn't super expensive to replace when it starts to wear out.

Your Prime mount is drooping? How old is it? I have had mine in place for 8 months and it hasn't moved a bit and it is VERY stiff. The flex mounts look so much better I would be willing to buy one every 2 years to keep that hard mount away from my tank.

33 minutes ago, thedon986 said:

Your Prime mount is drooping? How old is it? I have had mine in place for 8 months and it hasn't moved a bit and it is VERY stiff. The flex mounts look so much better I would be willing to buy one every 2 years to keep that hard mount away from my tank.

I don't have the newest prime flex mount since I switched to a wall-mounted hanging system, but all flexible mounting systems will eventually start to droop and wear out, they all have a limited lifespan due to their design. The more you adjust it, the heavier the light, or the longer the flexible mount, the faster it'll wear out. I was just pointing out that it is a drawback to all flexible mount systems - though they definitely look better.

If I didn't build the wall mount, I'd have another gooseneck on my tank too!

36 minutes ago, jservedio said:

I don't have the newest prime flex mount since I switched to a wall-mounted hanging system, but all flexible mounting systems will eventually start to droop and wear out, they all have a limited lifespan due to their design. The more you adjust it, the heavier the light, or the longer the flexible mount, the faster it'll wear out. I was just pointing out that it is a drawback to all flexible mount systems - though they definitely look better.

If I didn't build the wall mount, I'd have another gooseneck on my tank too!

Oh okay, well with the weight of just one Prime at <1lb I don't think there will be any problems. Could see that issue with heavier/older lights for sure. I would be more concerned with the light having technical issues or just becoming obsolete before this mount sags. It's real stiff and seems better made than the Kessil goosenecks. The trickiest part with these mounts is the connection to the tank. That is the area more prone to failing (slipping) on the glass.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, natedg200202 said:

I don't know what's the matter with me - I prefer the hard mount appearance over the flex. 

I prefer the hatd mount look as well. However with a small tank if have to back up the top mount to center the light. In doing so id have to have my tank pulled away from the wall 5-6 inches. Which i do mot want to do. Therefore the flex arm is the better option even if it's not as nice looking. Just my two cents 

21 hours ago, natedg200202 said:

I don't know what's the matter with me - I prefer the hard mount appearance over the flex. 

I prefer the hatd mount look as well. However with a small tank if have to back up the top mount to center the light. In doing so id have to have my tank pulled away from the wall 5-6 inches. Which i do mot want to do. Therefore the flex arm is the better option even if it's not as nice looking. Just my two cents 

On 2/12/2020 at 8:47 AM, jservedio said:

The first versions of the prime and mount came with a wonky screw and they would droop. Reach out to AI they will send you replacement hardware. They did for me. 

• Thanks 1

I'm happy with hard mounts on my 20G, but I've been considering chopping off the excess that hangs over the back of the tank for months now.  They look great when they're an inverted "L", but mine look more like a "T" (if that makes sense). 

I do have a flex mount on my 10G and it doesn't droop, but I never touch it and have no need to move it since it's mounted approximately 10-12" off the waterline. 

1 minute ago, TatorTaco said:

I'm happy with hard mounts on my 20G, but I've been considering chopping off the excess that hangs over the back of the tank for months now.  They look great when they're an inverted "L", but mine look more like a "T" (if that makes sense). 

I do have a flex mount on my 10G and it doesn't droop, but I never touch it and have no need to move it since it's mounted approximately 10-12" off the waterline. 

I cut the excess of of mine, it was the only way to get the tank flush with the wall. I just ordered a new prime 16 and went with the hanging kit. I think all lights look better hanging 🤷‍♂️

20 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

13” deep tank what’s a good height for the light?

23 hours ago, Sancho said:

I cut the excess of of mine, it was the only way to get the tank flush with the wall. I just ordered a new prime 16 and went with the hanging kit. I think all lights look better hanging 🤷‍♂️

Do I use a hacksaw?

I don't have a AI mount but I have the kessil flex mount.. they way this one works is the flexible part has a threaded connection on the end that screws into the mount that attaches to the tank wall.. I love this bc during maintenance i can just rotate the flex part with the light attached out of the way ..  I would get annoyed during water changes if I had a light hanging over my tank..  

Hope that made sense lol🙃