inTank Media Baskets

Light upgrade for fluval spec v

Llobrao

Sup everyone I’m starting a new Fluval Spec V reef and would like some advice on some good lights to host euphilias,  blastos,Zoas and maybe flower cup corals, I been leaning on the orbit marine pro but I rather have strong and dial back than weak and have to upgrade. Of course I’m trying to keep this tank as low budget as possible at least with the lights since this will be a fun project to keep my addiction tamed until I step into a big boy tank.  I already will be using my 75g break town equipment so don’t want to break the tank and will keep low light corals 

Any experience with the current orbit ? I was thinking something long i will try to keep some macros in the small filter area see if they get enough light to do a bit of export and help with PH 

45 minutes ago, Llobrao said:

Any experience with the current orbit ? I was thinking something long i will try to keep some macros in the small filter area see if they get enough light to do a bit of export and help with PH 

Here’s my Fluval Evo V under the current orbit LOOP system. This long form light is perfect for this thin, long tank, so I’d bet the orbit marine pro would be even better. But in my system the LOOP system has been growing my SPS monti cap and digi fine, zoa’s grow fine as well. C6F750FB-EC24-4386-8B99-51A2A360818E.thumb.jpeg.bb41a0dd227cffa7c35ba57e7d3d735e.jpeg

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Ckane2 said:

Also I’m sure an AI prime would be a good option, but it may have some light spill over and it’s not exactly ideal shape for a long thin tank 

Ran one on mine. It was great.

1 hour ago, Llobrao said:

For macro like chaeto in the back chamber, it should have a light on it running at opposite light cycle to display tank.

1 hour ago, Ckane2 said:

Here’s my Fluval Evo V under the current orbit LOOP system. This long form light is perfect for this thin, long tank, so I’d bet the orbit marine pro would be even better. But in my system the LOOP system has been growing my SPS monti cap and digi fine, zoa’s grow fine as well. C6F750FB-EC24-4386-8B99-51A2A360818E.thumb.jpeg.bb41a0dd227cffa7c35ba57e7d3d735e.jpeg

Nice!!!  You just got me a bit hyped! Definitely sticking to LPS idk if I could handle sps in such a small tank but hey you never know! I’m a stick head my previous build i got bit by the sps bug!

Currently looking eBay, any difference between the loop and pro both look pretty similar I was under the impression the loop was a new model

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Ran one on mine. It was great.

For macro like chaeto in the back chamber, it should have a light on it running at opposite light cycle to display tank.

This is just a thought since that’s going to be empty but On my 75 I was running it on the same schedule as display tank, i don’t think that small bit of cheato really made a difference but it’s a good place for pods

here’s a few pics of my 75g I said my next build was going to be 120g or better, 5g go figures but I’m excited planted beta tank was not for me coral is my love! I will start a journal for this one tonight 

203AA865-E5CB-4B88-B8FE-CC08CC65A9DE.jpeg

FFAE908D-654B-4527-810A-35048CE2887C.jpeg

9032F42D-91E7-4074-AFB6-59868355B9D5.jpeg

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Llobrao said:

Nice!!!  You just got me a bit hyped! Definitely sticking to LPS idk if I could handle sps in such a small tank but hey you never know! I’m a stick head my previous build i got bit by the sps bug!

Currently looking eBay, any difference between the loop and pro both look pretty similar I was under the impression the loop was a new model

I’m pretty sure the pro just has better output and a better spectrum, not sure about it’s controllability, definitely a stronger light though and if you’re willing to spend the extra money I’d go with the pro. The LOOP system was made so you could control lights and pumps all in one system with one controller. 

3 hours ago, Ckane2 said:

I’m pretty sure the pro just has better output and a better spectrum, not sure about it’s controllability, definitely a stronger light though and if you’re willing to spend the extra money I’d go with the pro. The LOOP system was made so you could control lights and pumps all in one system with one controller. 

Just realized the pro doesn’t come in the 18-24” model makes sense, according to current orbit the marine model at 6-9” deep you get about 120-70 par which this tank is about 9” tall plus what ever LR I get should bump me up to 4-5” to the light I can see why you are growing that monti, I seen them grow at 100 par with no issues I will give these a try think I found one on let go. Def staying low budget. 

I think I will use both lights lol the Stock and current orbit lol