Coral Vue Hydros

Treated a clownfish

Saultman

I am just putting some information on here of how I saved a clownfish as it may help someone else with a sick fish.

A little back story I took A break from the hobby for a few years, as work got busy and having children. Over Christmas this year being bored and looking around in the basement I got out some old equipment and set up a small tank with my kids. Cycled with dry rock ammonia and mb7.

After the cycle I stopped in petco😬 with the kids just to have a look around after looking over the unhealthy fish I found a small clown hiding in a cave I observed him for awhile and he seemed ok just a little stressed from being in a tank with a bunch of bullies. So I brought him home, acclimated and put him in the tank left the lights off for the rest of the day and the next morning I checked him out and noticed some black spots on just the white stripes tried to feed him but he wouldn’t eat.

5FE18D68-9BB1-49AA-B965-B59366FCDFD1.thumb.jpeg.af3af6865f3ed88dc24f35649468fb9b.jpeg

I started looking through the diseases but I couldn’t identify exactly what he had so I ordered metro kanaplex focus and some ruby reef also some frozen mysis. The next day the spots were spreading along his strips and it had some slime around it’s mouth and still wouldn’t eat. I wasn’t going to let this fish die so I did a fw dip for 5 minutes and put it back in the tank. The next day it was actively swimming and mouthing food but spitting it out.

The meds and mysis showed up a couple days later minus the ruby reef. I setup a qt tank and treated the water with metro and kana per instructions and put the fish in for 24 hrs. While soaking the mysis in metro kana and focus per instruction. After 24 hrs I put the fish back in the display. 24 hrs later I started feeding the meds daily and it started eating more of the mysis everyday. After a week of feeding he was completely healed and happy eating everything I gave him. 

14 days later he’s still doing great and after feeling successful in saving this fish I am hooked again and a uns 60u is ordered. 

I hope this helps to encourage someone to try and save their fish in the future. One thing I learned from this is to keep some meds on hand they are not expensive and better to have ready just in case. Also qt fish a proactively treat them. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure what that is, but it looks like some kind of bacterial infection, of which feeding with enriched foods can help. The slime and fast progression would indicate bacteria. The KanaPlex helping also indicates a bacterial infection. Nice work! Welcome back to the hobby.

• Like 1

Kana + Metro is a great combination for treating clownfish ailments. Kanamycin is a broad spectrum antibiotic which treats gram-negative bacterial infections, and Metronidazole treats Brooklynella which clownfish are especially susceptible to.

• Like 3