Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Parameters: Very, very confused

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

So I have my 10 gallon beginnings-of-a-reef tank, and my parameters just aren't making sense.

I got a magnesium kit yesterday, so I tried it out.

Yesterday my parameters were:

ca: 390

kh: 11

salinity: 35

mg: 1500

ph: 8.4

Today was water change day (~20% every Friday) so I tested the new water, and the tank water right after 

New water:

kh: 11

mg: 1170

And right after, my tank water read:

kh: 10

mg: 1200

The flux of mg may have been caused by the test kit being cold (it had just shipped), because that drop just doesn't make sense with only a 20% water change.

I use Instant Ocean (regular, purple). I am thinking that my salt has expired or gone bad only after a few months of having it. What do you guys think??

Any help is greatly appreciated 😞 My xenia, mushroom, and toadstool seem to be doing OKAY, but no growth. I would say I managed to kill the GSP. 

You probably shouldn’t test immediately after you added new water, since it probably takes a little while for the whole tank to get to equilibrium again. That depends a little bit on where you add your new water, and how much the circulation you have running. 

parameters seem ok, don’t seem like a cause to concern

Just now, mitten_reef said:

You probably shouldn’t test immediately after you added new water, since it probably takes a little while for the whole tank to get to equilibrium again. That depends a little bit on where you add your new water, and how much the circulation you have running. 

parameters seem ok, don’t seem like a cause to concern

That's what I figured; I think I'm obsessing a bit over the numbers and trying to figure out how I killed GSP. 

But thank you, that's very reassuring. 

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Kinda strange to see given that Instant Ocean says their Mg concentration should be 1320. Of course, variations may occur in their manufacture process.

Do you have before after photos for your GSP?

2 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Kinda strange to see given that Instant Ocean says their Mg concentration should be 1320. Of course, variations may occur in their manufacture process.

Do you have before after photos for your GSP?

If I remember correctly they say calcium mixes to ~420 too. 

This was December 14th: image.png.dc0fe4ece0b6dc2abfb496967da29982.png

This is them now :'-( :

IMG_4968.thumb.JPG.93bad26b52255d39f3c4a1243e39d58e.JPG

I've kind of given up trying to save them. I try to blow the algae off but it seems to be blowing away the mat too. I tried moving it closer to the light, but I saw an asterina on it one day and it never opened up fully again. 

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Huh I guess Instant Ocean needs to rework their math on their concentration values. I use their purple salt at the Petco I work at and it always shot under 400mg, so I had to chase numbers by adding some Kent Liquid Calcium. Or that company is just wildly inconsistent, and you and me need to change salt brands.

I'm worried if the Asterina got to your GSP, too, since it looks like the polyps literally left your tank.

1 minute ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Huh I guess Instant Ocean needs to rework their math on their concentration values. I use their purple salt at the Petco I work at and it always shot under 400mg, so I had to chase numbers by adding some Kent Liquid Calcium. Or that company is just wildly inconsistent, and you and me need to change salt brands.

I'm worried if the Asterina got to your GSP, too, since it looks like the polyps literally left your tank.

Yeah I'll definitely be switching. I really don't want to get into the world of having to dose. 

They didn't even bother closing the door behind them </3. 

My xenia/mushroom/toadstool are untouched though. 

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
2 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Yeah I'll definitely be switching. I really don't want to get into the world of having to dose. 

They didn't even bother closing the door behind them </3. 

My xenia/mushroom/toadstool are untouched though. 

Nope, and soft corals really don't need dosing like their hard skeleton counterparts. It's kinda odd that the others are doing fine. However there are stories out there on this forum and others saying how a certain this coral or that coral which in the broad brushstrokes seem to be easy to keep, but individual stories on not working out. Might be the case for your tank. As much as it's a science, it's a lot of art in it too.

At least GSPs are kinda everywhere when it comes to being sold.

4 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Nope, and soft corals really don't need dosing like their hard skeleton counterparts. It's kinda odd that the others are doing fine. However there are stories out there on this forum and others saying how a certain this coral or that coral which in the broad brushstrokes seem to be easy to keep, but individual stories on not working out. Might be the case for your tank. As much as it's a science, it's a lot of art in it too.

At least GSPs are kinda everywhere when it comes to being sold.

Yeah, I kind of have my doubts about the LFS. I found a flatworm and eggs, possibly, on this GSP frag.. And I've gotten frags from them before and they just don't seem to make it. 

I actually DON'T see it in a lot of places..

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

That's a big OOF if you see Planaria. You may want to change your business to elsewhere if you do have options. If not, your purchases may have to go online.

There's also the option of purchasing iodine and dipping your corals before they enter the tank. That's supposed to help against unwanted things getting into your tanks.

2 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

That's a big OOF if you see Planaria. You may want to change your business to elsewhere if you do have options. If not, your purchases may have to go online.

There's also the option of purchasing iodine and dipping your corals before they enter the tank. That's supposed to help against unwanted things getting into your tanks.

It IS a big OOF. They're one of the most accredited stores near me and I think on the east coast? lol.. so.. I was pretty shocked to see it too. 

I do need to invest in coral dip 😞

And my bad, it was a nudibranch. Even worse? lol

I wouldn't chase mag numbers if alk and cal are fine, the asterina almost certainly didn't do anything to the gsp, and iodine is a good disinfectant - not a coral dip - but you should dip every coral no matter what.
White flatworms aren't a problem, red ones can be, sometimes.

Just now, Amphrites said:

I wouldn't chase mag numbers if alk and cal are fine, the asterina almost certainly didn't do anything to the gsp, and iodine is a good disinfectant - not a coral dip.

So they're okay even if they're at both extremities? 

3 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

So they're okay even if they're at both extremities? 

If mag is below 1900 it won't harm your snails, if it's below 1000 you might have underlying alk or calcium issues and/or corals may have a bit of trouble uptaking minerals from the water column. Chances are it won't really change much.

• Like 1
DISQUALIFIED-QQ
2 minutes ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

It IS a big OOF. They're one of the most accredited stores near me and I think on the east coast? lol.. so.. I was pretty shocked to see it too. 

I do need to invest in coral dip 😞

And my bad, it was a nudibranch. Even worse? lol

ooooooooooo

Yeah if you've taken an invert class your professor may have gone over these guys. Some nudibranch species carry the ability to sting. They literally steal those nematocysts from corals/anemones/etc.

Not saying it is a nudibranch but if it is...hehehe. I feel nervous for you.

2 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I wouldn't chase mag numbers if alk and cal are fine, the asterina almost certainly didn't do anything to the gsp, and iodine is a good disinfectant - not a coral dip - but you should dip every coral no matter what.

Agreed. Chasing numbers is always a losing battle. It's something I learned in the FW fishkeeping world. Alk is the interplay of multiple ions which does include Mg and Ca. If alk is ok then the other ions should be.

7 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Agreed. Chasing numbers is always a losing battle. It's something I learned in the FW fishkeeping world. Alk is the interplay of multiple ions which does include Mg and Ca. If alk is ok then the other ions should be.

Kind of, you can have high alkalinity and low calcium. Sometimes low mag can cause, hide, or exacerbate either, but with most two-parts supplementing magnesium and the low-uptake by corals (softies and corallimophs can actually be a bit of an exception) it's rare.
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry
https://www.tidalgardens.com/blog/magnesium/

"When magnesium levels are appropriately high, it allows for the addition of calcium without the associated drop in alkalinity."

4 minutes ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

ooooooooooo

Yeah if you've taken an invert class your professor may have gone over these guys. Some nudibranch species carry the ability to sting. They literally steal those nematocysts from corals/anemones/etc.

Not saying it is a nudibranch but if it is...hehehe. I feel nervous for you.

it was definitely a nudibranch! image.png.2bedb1d1be019fed681f35793efb1b94.png

I agree, I'd rather solve things fundamentally.. and it seems like an easy enough fix, just a little more expensive.

2 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Kind of, you can have high alkalinity and low calcium.
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

I know that they have an inverted relationship. But I'll definitely look at this, thank you!

1 minute ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

I wonder if the nudie is fat and happy.

maybe somewhere in the New Jersey pipe systems

• Haha 1