Coral Vue Hydros

$300 later...

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

Which still isn't too much to start my first ever reef aquarium right?

Hi! Diamonds x Pearls. If you want to shorten it, DxP is fine. Or you can call me by my actual name, Edward.

For those local to the Montgomery/Howard County area, you may have strolled into the Burtonsville Petco and noticed the Asian guy lulling around the fish wall? Yeah that's me, and that's my burden to keep. As I'm typing this, I'm actually at my parent's home in Southern California for the Chinese New Year and I'm still thinking whether or not my coworkers let the water evaporate while I'm gone. (Yikes!)

Short version: I've been keeping freshwater tanks for nearly 6 years now and I have finally decided to pull the trigger and build a saltwater tank. I probably could have done it earlier when I was living in California since there are so many LFS to Orange County, but I was always shy and intimidated like many people in the fishkeeping hobby. I got my confidence after working at the Burtonsville Petco for about 2 months and noticing...nothing crashed! Educational background is also in marine biology from San Jose State. Career goal: work in a public aquarium...think Monterey Bay Aquarium etc.

So one dollar per gallon sale later and a 30 day trial of Amazon Prime. Here I am, I have a tank cycling for about a week 2600 miles away from the keyboard I'm typing on. I told my wife not to do anything yet since I want to give that entire 13oz bottle of Bio-Spira to munch on the piece of silverside I left on the sand. Hopefully there's a meaningful colony growing on the dry rock...life rock so CaribSea says.

I'll eventually get a journal going on here since I realized how helpful it is to keep pictures of an aquarium's progress and life, a lesson I learned in growing freshwater plants. Expect another post in the next week when I do return to Maryland.

Nice to meet all of you.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

Which still isn't too much to start my first ever reef aquarium right?

Hi! Diamonds x Pearls. If you want to shorten it, DxP is fine. Or you can call me by my actual name, Edward.

For those local to the Montgomery/Howard County area, you may have strolled into the Burtonsville Petco and noticed the Asian guy lulling around the fish wall? Yeah that's me, and that's my burden to keep. As I'm typing this, I'm actually at my parent's home in Southern California for the Chinese New Year and I'm still thinking whether or not my coworkers let the water evaporate while I'm gone. (Yikes!)

Short version: I've been keeping freshwater tanks for nearly 6 years now and I have finally decided to pull the trigger and build a saltwater tank. I probably could have done it earlier when I was living in California since there are so many LFS to Orange County, but I was always shy and intimidated like many people in the fishkeeping hobby. I got my confidence after working at the Burtonsville Petco for about 2 months and noticing...nothing crashed! Educational background is also in marine biology from San Jose State. Career goal: work in a public aquarium...think Monterey Bay Aquarium etc.

So one dollar per gallon sale later and a 30 day trial of Amazon Prime. Here I am, I have a tank cycling for about a week 2600 miles away from the keyboard I'm typing on. I told my wife not to do anything yet since I want to give that entire 13oz bottle of Bio-Spira to munch on the piece of silverside I left on the sand. Hopefully there's a meaningful colony growing on the dry rock...life rock so CaribSea says.

I'll eventually get a journal going on here since I realized how helpful it is to keep pictures of an aquarium's progress and life, a lesson I learned in growing freshwater plants. Expect another post in the next week when I do return to Maryland.

Nice to meet all of you.

:welcome:

DISQUALIFIED-QQ
7 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

:welcome:

7 hours ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Welcome and good luck on your journey!

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Dafish said:

Can wait to see it up and running 

Same here. I've been watching diving videos to get a good idea of species composition and density on top of pulling what Google scholar says about coral reef assemblages. I've been keen on Japanese reefs since my wife and I are huge Japanophiles and it seems to be a lesser known region in the often generalized "Western Pacific" as some marketing will point towards.

Turns out the warm water currents that originate from the South China Sea push up to pretty close to Tokyo (and makes Okinawa a diver destination). With climate change and all, I could guess reefs moving more poleward.

• Like 1