Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Test Kits!

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Gonna bite the bullet and buy some much needed test kits. I need: Mg, PO4, and maybe NO3. 

I just wanted to check to see if these are what's best:

Mg: https://www.amazon.com/Salifert-Magnesium-MG-Test-Kit/dp/B001EIYBKM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=salifert+magnesium&qid=1579885539&sr=8-1

PO4: https://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-Phosphorus-Saltwater-Aquariums/dp/B003UNK3I8/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=hanna+phosphate&qid=1579885481&sr=8-7

NO3: should I stick with API?

Thank you!!

When I test mag which I haven't in a year I use salifert.

I only use the hanna for phos and alk now.

Nitrate, I use api, salifert, red sea they are all pretty similar in results besides api only showing 5 and no less but from the tests I've done 0 nitrate with api has equaled about 2 on the others

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

When I test mag which I haven't in a year I use salifert.

I only use the hanna for phos and alk now.

Nitrate, I use api, salifert, red sea they are all pretty similar in results besides api only showing 5 and no less but from the tests I've done 0 nitrate with api has equaled about 2 on the others

I have started to notice that my Ca runs on the lower side--after a ~15% water change today, it tested around 390 with my alk all the way up at 11. And I've read that this gap could be treated by figuring out my Mg. 

That's what I kind of read/figured with nitrates too. Okay, thank you!

3 hours ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Gonna bite the bullet and buy some much needed test kits. I need: Mg, PO4, and maybe NO3. 

I just wanted to check to see if these are what's best:

Mg: https://www.amazon.com/Salifert-Magnesium-MG-Test-Kit/dp/B001EIYBKM/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=salifert+magnesium&qid=1579885539&sr=8-1

PO4: https://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-Phosphorus-Saltwater-Aquariums/dp/B003UNK3I8/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=hanna+phosphate&qid=1579885481&sr=8-7

NO3: should I stick with API?

Thank you!!

Just in case you didnt know phosphorus and phosphate testers are a little different.. some people prefer one over the other so a little research is needed.. I believe brs has a video on the differences 

3 hours ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Just to save you some money... Amazon is selling that Hanna Instruments Phosphorus Checker for $61.11 per your link, but you can save some money if you buy it from LiveAquaria.com for $49.95 with free shipping included.  That's where I get my Hanna Instrument checkers from.

26 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Just in case you didnt know phosphorus and phosphate testers are a little different.. some people prefer one over the other so a little research is needed.. I believe brs has a video on the differences 

woah I didn't even catch that.... those are two completely different things. Is it just widely accepted that the phosphorus tester is testing for phosphates? (I see there is a need for a conversion)

15 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

Just to save you some money... Amazon is selling that Hanna Instruments Phosphorus Checker for $61.11 per your link, but you can save some money if you buy it from LiveAquaria.com for $49.95 with free shipping included.  That's where I get my Hanna Instrument checkers from.

And damn! I have an amazon gift card though 

1 hour ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

I have started to notice that my Ca runs on the lower side--after a ~15% water change today, it tested around 390 with my alk all the way up at 11. And I've read that this gap could be treated by figuring out my Mg. 

That's what I kind of read/figured with nitrates too. Okay, thank you!

Ya if mag is low it can cause imbalance in ca and alk but it could be the salt mix.

As alk rises, ca drops and vice versa.

Also nitrate levels can effect alk in the tank as well.

The ultra low phos checker can read the lowest levels of phos and you need to do a bit of math to get the final results.

Brs has video testing a bunch of phos kits.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

woah I didn't even catch that.... those are two completely different things. Is it just widely accepted that the phosphorus tester is testing for phosphates? (I see there is a need for a conversion)

To be honest I don’t get into chemistry stuff . I hate it. Google the difference between Hanna ulr phosphate vs ulr phosphorus and watch a video.. all I remember was after I did my research I went with the ulr phosphate tester🙃

• Like 1

Thanks everyone 🙂 I ordered the salifert mg test because i want to get that all straightened out first. i'll do more research about phosphorous vs phosphates!

• Like 1
Just now, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

Thanks everyone 🙂 I ordered the salifert mg test because i want to get that all straightened out first. i'll do more research about phosphorous vs phosphates!

I love that mag test.  It's been the best easiest for me to read... I hate the red sea one..

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...