Coral Vue Hydros

Newbie Aquascaping: Do I need a 'Cave'?

natedg200202

I'm getting my first saltwater tank started.  I have a load of dry rock (Marco's) and am working now on aquascape planning.  

The tank is a 13.5 gallon EVO.  Planned are (2) clownfish, a skunk shrimp, snails, and eventually some 'beginner' corals that I think will progress to LPS. 

I will maybe post pictures of what I'm thinking later, but I have a concern.  As I look at what other's do for their 'scapes' I see a theme.  Picture one large rock at one end, then another large rock some distance away, then another rock placed on top of the two, creating a bridge or small cave. I have seen this so many times I'm starting to think it is a requirement.  Clearly being a first time saltwater aquarist, there are many things that I don't know yet. 

How important is it to have a 'cave' in your scape?  I'm asking because it doesn't seem all that ascetically pleasing and I think functionally it might have issues as well (challenge to make it stable, even when gluing together). 

I have one large piece that I'm looking to hacksaw so it will be a column (upright cylinder shape) at about 1/3 from the end of the tank, Then the remaining 2/3 of the tank will be a few progressively smaller pieces spaced apart.  

So, looking at my stocking list, any thoughts you can offer on how important caves are will be much appreciated

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, natedg200202 said:

I'm getting my first saltwater tank started.  I have a load of dry rock (Marco's) and am working now on aquascape planning.  

The tank is a 13.5 gallon EVO.  Planned are (2) clownfish, a skunk shrimp, snails, and eventually some 'beginner' corals that I think will progress to LPS. 

I will maybe post pictures of what I'm thinking later, but I have a concern.  As I look at what other's do for their 'scapes' I see a theme.  Picture one large rock at one end, then another large rock some distance away, then another rock placed on top of the two, creating a bridge or small cave. I have seen this so many times I'm starting to think it is a requirement.  Clearly being a first time saltwater aquarist, there are many things that I don't know yet. 

How important is it to have a 'cave' in your scape?  I'm asking because it doesn't seem all that ascetically pleasing and I think functionally it might have issues as well (challenge to make it stable, even when gluing together). 

I have one large piece that I'm looking to hacksaw so it will be a column (upright cylinder shape) at about 1/3 from the end of the tank, Then the remaining 2/3 of the tank will be a few progressively smaller pieces spaced apart.  

So, looking at my stocking list, any thoughts you can offer on how important caves are will be much appreciated

Not required at all but some fish and inverts like to hide or have a place to sleep..... so they are not purely for aesthetics.
Out of your list the shrimp would be most likely to use a cave.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, natedg200202 said:

There are plenty of cool iwagumi-inspired pillar aquascapes and the like out there, the clowns honestly won't care and are just as likely to just float lazily in a corner all day.

If you can find frags for cheap, my own idea for a pillar scape was rhodactus mushrooms up top and cheap-chubby frogspawn down on a bare-bottom, maybe some softies for texture in the back corners. There are allot of options, just research the requirements of the animals you want to keep and go from there.

• Like 3

It's not necessary to have a cave but if you choose certain livestock that prefers caves then its needed.

I have caves and my shrimp could care less about it. He has his other spots he seems to favour. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, natedg200202 said:

This is a variant of the above where the two rocks are touching. Forming a bit of a CAVE. Ha ha. 

4A7281C3-CD7B-4D97-8A58-C6B1AC1BCAC7.jpeg

80F87A4D-A9FE-48D9-8D70-2B22815E8562.jpeg

4DB0B3CC-6BCD-48F1-B1B4-86BC8E694DB8.jpeg

C4FADF46-FFFF-43DA-B7A2-3371D6EA189B.jpeg

Really like that second scape, if it were me I would be eyeing the spare rock you have off to the side and trying to make an arch from the largest piece to the smallest

The scape looks nice! 

As others said...no cave needed for your livestock. Certain fish in larger tanks like angelfish and hawkfish anthias use caves so they have their use in certain circumstances.

• 1 month later...

I have a lot of fish and inverts that like caves or crevises to hid in.

• emerald crab and blue porciline crab
  • Yellow watchman likes a cave within a cave
  • tail spot benny
  • Springer likes a cave at night
  • pepermint shrimp

You cave doesn't have to be obvious or a feature, but your animals will appreciate it.