Coral Vue Hydros

Dkh low

Rick13

Hi, new to reef keeping. Have a question about alkalinity. My tank just finished cycling a week ago and I'd like to add a lps. Water parameters are 

temp. 77

salinity 1.025

ph 7.9

Amm 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 5ppm

phosphate. 25

alk 5.75 dkh

calcium 415

mag 1275

My question is will it be ok with alk being low? I also dont understand why it is low. I'm using reef crystals and it claims alk is at 13 pom. Do I need a buffer? 

thanks

15 minutes ago, Rick13 said:

Hi, new to reef keeping. Have a question about alkalinity. My tank just finished cycling a week ago and I'd like to add a lps. Water parameters are 

temp. 77

salinity 1.025

ph 7.9

Amm 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 5ppm

phosphate. 25

alk 5.75 dkh

calcium 415

mag 1275

My question is will it be ok with alk being low? I also dont understand why it is low. I'm using reef crystals and it claims alk is at 13 pom. Do I need a buffer? 

thanks

Tank is new and often parameters change. A lot of stuff, new rocks and sand can use up alk.

Sometimes salts just mixes low. I never got 13dkh with reef Crystal's. Mine always mixed between 7.9 - 9

Have you prestirred/rolled the salt before use to evenly disperse it?

What was the dkh of newly mixed salt?

1 hour ago, Rick13 said:

Just mixed salt then added to tank then started cycle. After cycling was done was first time I checked alk

The next time you make water, test the dkh of it and then test the tank after the waterchange

Old Man Reefer
18 hours ago, Rick13 said:

temp. 77

salinity 1.025

ph 7.9

Amm 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 5ppm

phosphate. 25

alk 5.75 dkh

calcium 415

mag 1275

thanks

Sounds like your test might be faulty! I’ve used reef crystals for 20 years  just for that reason. It’s got a higher then normal ALK. Try HANNA ALK TESTER. Well worth the $30 👍🏻Good luck