Coral Vue Hydros

LED Actinic supplement combo?

dadummy

Hey there,

been a while since I have posted on nano-reef. So long that I believe my account had been deleted. Could not log on with user name and emails are not recognized. Just cut down neglected overgrown SPS tank and donated everything to a coral research foundation. Got a fresh new start and the fever is back. Going to re visit my lighting as some of the LEDs  are 8 yrs old

What is the latest combination of LEDs for actinic supplement?  I will be supplementing my T5(B+,C+) with LED.  Last time i built some LED fixtures nano’s i used the Vero 10 and lime Diodes. 

The RB, BL windex look needs a fresh lighter look with more sparkle. What do you guys/gals suggest?

thanks for your time

• Christopher Marks changed the title to LED Actinic supplement combo?

Hey Peteterc! Are you going to be building it or do you want a plug and play system? You should check out the Orphek OR2 Blue Plus line of LED strip lights. They would absolutely be my choice of supplementing a T5 fixture. They have a good mix of diodes though some don't like the inclusion of cyan LEDs into the blend of LED colors they use. You can get them customized by Orphek as well if you don't mind a longer lead time. They come in 2', 3', 4', and 5' fixtures though the 5' fixtures are the longest lead time. The easiest way to get what you want is either 1 or 2 OR2 Blue Plus bars and then find the right mix of T5s to get the color where you want.

I used to build my own LED fixtures as well, but I don't think it's as worth it anymore. The only thing that makes me sad is that I loved the lime and mint LEDs and you basically have to go custom or go nanobox to include them.

• Like 1

Thanks man, yes, I will be  building them. I am acquiring several heatsinks, drivers and who knows what else. I have a bunch of drivers and probably enough LEDs to come close, so it shouldn't be an expensive build. More of a do over with proper heatsinks. I used 1/4 x2 inch aluminum flat stock and repurposed them twice all ready.

thinking of mimicking the nano box array as i did in the past

53 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back! If you send me a message, I might be able to locate your old account. 🙂 

Thank you for finding old account

• Like 1

Have you tried 21ledusa dot com? They have some really nice strip lighting. Also the LED’s on the strips are completely incased in silicone. It’s the 36” center strip at 12vdc 27watt 453nm 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, dadummy said:

Hey there,

been a while since I have posted on nano-reef. So long that I believe my account had been deleted. Could not log on with user name and emails are not recognized. Just cut down neglected overgrown SPS tank and donated everything to a coral research foundation. Got a fresh new start and the fever is back. Going to re visit my lighting as some of the LEDs  are 8 yrs old

What is the latest combination of LEDs for actinic supplement?  I will be supplementing my T5(B+,C+) with LED.  Last time i built some LED fixtures nano’s i used the Vero 10 and lime Diodes. 

The RB, BL windex look needs a fresh lighter look with more sparkle. What do you guys/gals suggest?

thanks for your time

FYI if your LED's grew corals before they will do it again now.....corals haven't really gotten any updates in the last 8 years that would make them incompatible.  😉 

So maybe don't change anything from how you had it before.....unless it didn't work well before.

If anything I'd ditch the funky T5's and replace them with LED strips -- keep the same basic look but ditch bulb replacements and high power usage once and for all.

On 2/9/2020 at 4:56 AM, mcarroll said:

FYI if your LED's grew corals before they will do it again now.....corals haven't really gotten any updates in the last 8 years that would make them incompatible.  😉 

So maybe don't change anything from how you had it before.....unless it didn't work well before.

If anything I'd ditch the funky T5's and replace them with LED strips -- keep the same basic look but ditch bulb replacements and high power usage once and for all.

I would ditch the LED before the T5, 

9 minutes ago, dadummy said:

I would ditch the LED before the T5, 

Some folks still roll that way.  👍

I was just sayin' that corals wouldn't be any worse now under your LED's just because so much time has passed...so whatever you thought of your LED's then will be more or less true now, today.

And you could be unduely discounting the prospect of LED strips if you really do like the look of a tank under T5's. 

That's something that HAS improved in the last eight years....everyone from Current to Orphek offers nice LED strips in 2020.

I do appreciate the feedback, I am not ready to throw in the towel  on the T5, still have halides in the attic that call my name every once in a while. As I like the LED in the nano tanks, I still don"t feel I get as good of growth and color rendition from LED alone. Many many times I have picked up coral from all LED tanks to only find they are brown under T5. The the opposite when placing coral from T5 to LED, the colors are fantastic and POP. That has been my experience.

I will look into some of the LED strips, I wouldn't be opposed to adding more led in the little space left. It's crazy was looking on fleabay for led grow lights to put over the fuge. I can buy a china box cheaper than ordering the red and blue diodes from rapid which I still may do. Not a big fan of hanging 110v  over a sump since the time I knocked the clamp on CF into the sump and pooped my pants. 

What I did was put 10 RB and 2 UV on one channel, On another channel I went with 2 lime , 2 cyan, 1 blue, 1 UV. I tried a Vero 10 and that didn't work out, way too yellow so I removed that and added another lime. I am happy with the way it turned out, 

thanks for your time

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 1/21/2020 at 7:44 PM, Paleoreef103 said:

Hey Peteterc! Are you going to be building it or do you want a plug and play system? You should check out the Orphek OR2 Blue Plus line of LED strip lights. They would absolutely be my choice of supplementing a T5 fixture. They have a good mix of diodes though some don't like the inclusion of cyan LEDs into the blend of LED colors they use. You can get them customized by Orphek as well if you don't mind a longer lead time. They come in 2', 3', 4', and 5' fixtures though the 5' fixtures are the longest lead time. The easiest way to get what you want is either 1 or 2 OR2 Blue Plus bars and then find the right mix of T5s to get the color where you want.

I used to build my own LED fixtures as well, but I don't think it's as worth it anymore. The only thing that makes me sad is that I loved the lime and mint LEDs and you basically have to go custom or go nanobox to include them.

Thanks from me, too. My dad and I are just installing an aquarium. It will be helpful. I used to make my own LED fixtures, but I no longer believe it is worthwhile. LED strips have always been a source of worry for me. They were either burnt out or didn't work at all. Then a recognized master (in the lighting industry) recommended that I try special LED drivers from https://www.ukled.co.uk/led-drivers.html. It has improved significantly, but now everything works thanks to your way flawlessly. LED strips look great in my space. It's stunning. Also, I'll apply this tape to the baseboards to create a backlight from below; I think it'll look fantastic.