Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Refugium for Mandarin Goby?

TatorTaco

I have a Nuvo Fusion 20G and I’d really like a mandarin goby. What size tank should I be searching for to sustain a population large enough for this fish?

I have the older IM stand made from MDF so I’m not sure if I could fit it inside the tank, outside as a stand-alone tank, or if I could get away with a HOB.

Any feedback would be appreciated. 

I had a 20g fuge on a 29g display with 6 of them years ago with the fuge full of cheato and the tank full of display macro. It worked wonders. I would just get the biggest you can feasibility get.

I think the biggest thing if you want pods is to limit other fish that eat them and to limit fish that may steal food from your mandy. You will want him eating prepared too and they are slow eaters.

Biota sells captive ones which has made things easier. Getting one of those would be a head start.

Paul B designed a feeder for his Mandy's and pipefish since they eat so slow. So that's another good idea if you have some aggressive feeders.

I would also set up to culture live white worms as they are very very easy to culture and will survive days in salt (which means they keep wiggling and looking enticing!). Healthy for all fish with almost no work. Easier than live brine.

This may seem over the top but I tend to go over the top and have found great success with picky fish this way. I rarely pick the easy fish anymore.

• Like 1

I would say no. These guys eat almost constantly and they need a heavy pod supply to survive. I'd be hesitant to even try a 20g sump on a small tank. Sure, you'll have a bunch of pods in the sump, some of which will make it to the DT...but how many will? There's no way to make sure that will happen. It's also difficult to monitor pod supply in the DT. You may see a bunch near the glass at night, but is it a true representation of population? I honestly don't know. I'd be concerned that the population around the rocks doesn't necessarily match what you're seeing on the glass. It might, but I wouldn't bet a starving fish on it. 

I"m not saying that it can't be done. I'm saying that I wouldn't do it. It sucks. I really want one too. I had one in my 120g and he was one of my favorite 2 fish (blue jaw trigger was the other). Now that I'm down to a 60 cube, I'm unable to keep either fish. 

Definitely consider a captive bred mandarin if you’ll be putting it in a smaller tanK. I got mine from Live Aquaria and they also carry them at Algae Barn. They are itty bitty when you get them, like 3/4 inch... and you have to be prepared to spend lots of time and money caring for it. 

Mine really likes Sustainable Aquatics Hatchery Diet pellets. Also live pods, fresh hatched baby brine shrimp, and small frozen foods (e.g. coral gumbo, baby brine shrimp, cyclopods). I was going to try a couple types of feeders for my little guy in the beginning, knowing mandarins can be slow/shy eaters, but my little captive bred guy was a pretty assertive eater from the beginning and liked to swim up to the surface to eat, so I didn’t end up needing to do a feeder. I think one trick with mine was that he got used to eating the crushed pellets on the surface when he was drawn up there to the pods and baby brine shrimp that were attracted to the light. 

Here are a couple videos from when he was a baby:

I also have a little rubble pile in the back corner of my tank, and cultured pods in the beginning to be able to add them weekly. 

1C5B380F-8107-48B6-BE25-A89BDE9E78FE.thumb.jpeg.8acd712f88795d73330000a8008e765b.jpeg

73678AB5-171F-4D33-9B62-8A14E2CEBFF4.thumb.jpeg.1a3c51a23cb4834d488a0e4a8146aa88.jpeg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...