Innovative Marine Aquariums

Removing some substrate?

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut

Hey everyone!

I've been struggling with low-moderate GHA. I've noticed that my substrate has started to be pushed to the back of the tank, in areas where I can't siphon (cause I mistakingly set up the tank with the rocks touching the glass). I can visibly see the detritus that it traps, and have a feeling this may be where some of the phosphates are coming from. Do you suggest siphoning some of that substrate out? I'm not sure how it would affect the stability of the rocks, water parameters, etc?

Thank you!

IMG_4897.thumb.JPG.5ceb12c8d122e4a45e6b9f66bafe7ba5.JPGIMG_4896.thumb.JPG.9af5d6fc44b9006e8320ef511b8cde49.JPG

Depends on how you designed the rockwork- if its sitting on sand then it may effect the support of those rocks whereas rocks sitting on glass or eggcrate are stable with the sand.

You certainly can remove some of that sand.

Why is it getting pushed to the back of the tank?

If you can siphon the sand during water changes, using a Turkey baster to blow onto the sand can help keep it clean.

2 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Depends on how you designed the rockwork- if its sitting on sand then it may effect the support of those rocks whereas rocks sitting on glass or eggcrate are stable with the sand.

You certainly can remove some of that sand.

Why is it getting pushed to the back of the tank?

If you can siphon the sand during water changes, using a Turkey baster to blow onto the sand can help keep it clean.

When I first put the substrate in, it was maybe an inch deep all around. And I made sure to bury the rocks in a bit. 

I think it's getting pushed from me siphoning and playing around with the powerheads..