Cultivated Reef

to block or not to block - biocube lower intake

Mazzy21

I've been pondering the idea of closing off the intake slats that are towards the bottom of my Oceanic biocube in hopes of improving/cleaning the top slime? oil?? coat from the water surface by forcing the water to only go through those top slats and into my filtration. Anyone else done this and did it improve flow significantly (enough to make it worth the hassle of sealing the bottom) through those top slats?

• Like 1

Go for it.  Lower intakes are a bad idea IMO.  It may help with surface film to force, you may also have to slightly adjust water levels in the display to cause more surface tension to pull that film in.  That can be done by adding or subtracting from the display or CH1 wile the filtration pump is ON

On 1/15/2020 at 11:42 PM, Mazzy21 said:

I've been pondering the idea of closing off the intake slats that are towards the bottom of my Oceanic biocube in hopes of improving/cleaning the top slime? oil?? coat from the water surface by forcing the water to only go through those top slats and into my filtration. Anyone else done this and did it improve flow significantly (enough to make it worth the hassle of sealing the bottom) through those top slats?

• 6 months later...
TerraIncognita
On 1/22/2020 at 12:52 PM, StevieT said:

Go for it.  Lower intakes are a bad idea IMO.  It may help with surface film to force, you may also have to slightly adjust water levels in the display to cause more surface tension to pull that film in.  That can be done by adding or subtracting from the display or CH1 wile the filtration pump is ON

I agree with him.

RedTheReefer

I have a bottom opening on my Lifegard Aquatics tank for the contest. I decided to close it as well. The reason for me closing it was I wanted a higher DT water level with lower flow from the return. I also didn't want my RFAs getting sucked in or clogging it up and having a chance of an overflow.