Pod Your Reef

Too much skimmer? -Eshopps S-120 Space Saving G4

Ishtar

Is Eshopps S-120 Space Saving G4 Protein Skimmer (Sicce SE-200 Pump) too much skimmer for my IM NUVO 20 (removed back sump chambers completely) drilled and overflowing to my SkimzUP21 Sumpro sump?

Should I be concerned about over skimming?

Thx!

Edited by Ishtar
Clarification

Skimmers are very inefficient as far as the percentage of "waste" they can remove.....about 30% in testing.   This is a good thing!

As long as it's your main or only filtration and you aren't ALSO clobbering your tank with a mess of macro algae, chemical media, et al, then it's the best thing you can have on your tank.  (You can disable/remove the rest of your filtration other than Live Rock.

A skimmer aerates as it mildly filters, not unlike wave action on a beach.

As for the skimmer's size....

It does seem like it's too large for your system....you might not be able to get it to skim anything (or not well) if that's the case.

The 9004 Comline® DOC Skimmer would be more of a right size for your system.

They sell it in the 9404 configuration for sump usage, but it should perform better in-tank.  (True of most gear.)

It's also priced right for your system at $260....you can put almost $100 back in your pocket by switching.  (Only $150 for the in-tank version.)

DOC Skimmer 9404

DOC Skimmer 9404

Recommended for marine aquariums up to 250 liters (66 USgal.). Immersion depth of 80 to 250 mm (3.1... mehr

259.99 USD

Thanks for the input! Tunze has a good solution for many things. I have had great experience with nano streams and DOC 9001nano skimmers in the past.

I am not really interested in putting any equipment in my display. I removed the entire back wall including the chambers and drilled for a modular marine overflow to my sump so that I could, among many other things, put all the equipment (except MP10) in the sump. (I hope to post pictures of the setup in the coming weeks.)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

I am not really interested in putting any equipment in my display.

Then the 9404 in-sump model I mentioned would be your target.  👍

Do you have the ugly motor for the MP10 on the side of the tank or around back where it's invisible?  (Around back is more ideal obviously.)

Something to consider is that tanks pretty much always do better with two pumps than one.  A single pump will always create dead zones.  Two will never create identical dead zones, so they work better in tandem.  The usual way is to run pumps alternately like the flow of the tides....one pump for 4-6 hours, then then other pump for 4-6 hours.

Seems like two mp10's is overkill, at least in terms of price though. 

Maybe consider a pair of smaller pumps like the Tunze 6040's ($280 for two) or the Aqamai WiFi pumps ($240 for two)?

Both pairs of pumps would save you money vs the single $300 pump you have now....and save you an armload vs two of them!

10 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Do you have the ugly motor for the MP10 on the side of the tank or around back where it's invisible?  (Around back is more ideal obviously.)

I have used the motor on the side (great for wave making) as well as the back. When on the back I have it on the opposite side from the return line. I have not needed to power up the mp10 past the half way mark yet. I suspect I will when the tank becomes more mature.

• Like 1

You may not be able to turn it up much without causing sand problems.  (It's kinda overkill, like I said.  Better on a cube-style tank that's taller and less wide.)

Unless the return flow and mp10 can alternate, then they just make more dead spots that are smaller....they won't compliment each other like I was describing.

4 minutes ago, Ishtar said:

A good dead spot makes for easy detritus removal with a bare bottom setup. 😁

The dead spots you can see at least.  True.  👍

An even better plan for those dead spots is to place a coral there -- infinite feedings and free cleaning!

But the best plan is still to eliminate dead spots to the extent possible...and that's with alternating flow a la the tides.  Doesn't mean you have to do it now though.  ☺️

(Every surface in the tank creates a dead spot of various degrees when flow hits it, BTW....it's not really realistic to think you're going to be able to capitalize on all of them.)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

An even better plan for those dead spots is to place a coral there -- infinite feedings and free cleaning!

True. Great solution! I like it.

• Like 1