SaltCritters.com

Er

Razormop

There are certainly edible varieties. However, given the high amount of bacteria concentrated in a fish-including aquarium, it's probably not the best idea unless it's something you cook. 

Also, unless you have a massive vat of the stuff growing, it's not going to be "every day". Every week at most.

I wouldn't.

Its different than when it comes out of the ocean.

We use synthetic salt, dosing products, filter media, etc etc

Bacteria is another concern plus toxins from corals.

• Like 1

I would not eat from our tanks as it is a closed system.

Aquabiomics is testing bacteria in our tanks. I know in Pauls they found a high number of the bacteria that cause GI issues in humans (Helicobacter pylori).

Perhaps cooking would fix this BUT I would be concerned about palytoxins and soft coral toxins and even toxins from dino species as I am not sure cooking would render these toxins harmless.

Too many unknowns.

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

Someone on here eats the algae products from their tank, if I’m not mistaken it was @Subsea  probably not something I would do myself or advocate but it’s been done.  Kind of like those aquaponic systems they sell for freshwater that grow plants on the top and they show herbs etc.   probably cleaner than romaine lettuce😝

• Like 2

Ya I did think of Subsea. I know he had macro grow out systems but not sure if they were plumbed into his DT or not or if just dedicated grow tanks. 🤔 

I think eating home grown seaweed would be safer in a dedicated system for it since one could control what they add like paly's and such. 

• Like 2

Better to go to an Asian Market, which BTW I’ve picked up some really interesting foods for my Aquarium. Just wish the market near me hadn’t gone out of business. 

On 1/12/2020 at 10:52 AM, Razormop said:

i know its ridiculous but can we plant seaweed and have some yummy fresh salad everyday?

(Serious)

Been here done that

I can tell you Cheato tastes like Kale, gets stuck in teeth a lot more though.

Dragons Breath is nice with some Wasabi and Sesame Seeds. 

Both blanches before I tried it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
On 1/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, Tamberav said:

Ya I did think of Subsea. I know he had macro grow out systems but not sure if they were plumbed into his DT or not or if just dedicated grow tanks. 🤔 

I think eating home grown seaweed would be safer in a dedicated system for it since one could control what they add like paly's and such. 

@Subsea hasnhasn't been on here for a while has he?

• Like 1
On 1/12/2020 at 5:52 AM, Razormop said:

i know its ridiculous but can we plant seaweed and have some yummy fresh salad everyday?

(Serious)

You can make a dedicated tank for growing seaweed.  There's many tutorials out there just for that.  No need to eat any of the plants from your fish aquarium that includes all sorts of other stuff like bacteria.

https://www.hunker.com/12003018/how-to-grow-seaweed-at-home