Cultivated Reef

Gluing Zoas to frag plug

Evans

Hello I brought a zoa colony about a month ago and there’s about 10 or more scattered around the tank, so I brought some glue to be able glue them to a frag plug but I don’t have any gloves or equipment can I just pick them up and glue them? Sorry pretty new to it all 

thanks in advance   

You would definitely want some gloves and eye protection when it comes to zoas. They have a deadly toxin that you wouldn’t want going in your system via cuts/open sore or squirting on your eye. 

partlycloudy531
3 minutes ago, Evans said:

Okay that’s what I was thinking saw something saying they was dangerous,  any recommendations on what gloves I should get 

Vinyl or nitrile gloves would work fine. 

Thank you very much I’ll order some now is there anything I can do with the loose Zoas around the tank for the minute  didn’t really want them getting pushed around 

partlycloudy531
2 minutes ago, Evans said:

Thank you very much I’ll order some now is there anything I can do with the loose Zoas around the tank for the minute  didn’t really want them getting pushed around 

I would just wait for the gloves personally, or go get some at the store right now. They will probably be ok while you wait for the gloves. Tons of people handle them barehanded with no issues though. It’s like driving your car without your seatbelt. You’ll probably get there just fine but you never know. 

The exact toxin level of most zoanthids and relatives isn't known. Nevertheless, it's best not to handle them barehanded.

For now, put a plastic cup in there with a big pinch of substrate, and pop all the zoanthids into the cup so they're contained. Or tuck them in a low-flow corner. Whatever you do, do it fast, before they attach on their own.

You can use tweezers to handle them, which may be easier than grasping them with your gloved fingertips and trying not to glue your gloves to things. Just grip them gently, no smushing.  Also, after you're done, let the frags sit in a cup or so of tank water for a bit. Wait until they start to open up slightly, then gently rinse them with more tank water and put them back. That way, in case they slime, the slime winds up in the cup (which you should promptly dispose of down a drain) and not loose in your tank.

Thank your for your response very helpful got some gloves ordered and gonna order some tweezers as well, going of subject i brought some reef Roids and I’ve been told to fill a bag up and to put half a tea spoon in the bag shake well and put in 20 mins before lights go out is that the best way I was watching some one on YouTube who made it in two a sludge and dropped it on the corals 

The bag thing seems overly complicated. Either mix some into a cup of water and dump the result into the tank, or put a sludge of food directly on the corals. Maybe combine them- test which corals respond best in terms of feeding tentacles to having it put on them, then broadcast scatter for the rest. But keep in mind that the more you put in, the more water changes you'll need to do.

Anything that puts the food onto the corals in some amount should work fine. The sludge may work better for LPS and/or anything you're trying to powerfeed as much as possible.

Okay that’s great thank you and what other foods would Zoas like I have a good few different corals in my tank some doing good some not so much all learning curves and very costly when goes wrong but it’s all fun and I like learning about it 

Some zoas and palythoas like small foods like reef roids and other zooplankton, some only absorb nutrients from the water. Anything of about that size and nutrient level will work for the ones that want to eat. 

If you're having coral troubles, make a separate thread for it (since this one is about something else) and you'll get some good advice. You should list your exact water parameters (NOT just "fine"), your tank size, how old it is, your light, your heater and filtration, and what all is in it. You should also use commas, and break things up so that different subjects are in different sentences.