Coral Vue Hydros

3 weeks is all it took

fishkeepersaltnfresh

fishkeepersaltnfresh

These pics are taken today. When I came back I assumed all corals are dead. Seems like Chalice & purple stylo might come back. I spotted a baby mushroom on the tock. Maybe that too will come back. But we (Nemo & myself) lost our beloved Duncan :(

20200107_182551.jpg

20200107_182558.jpg

20200107_182607.jpg

20200107_182624.jpg

20200107_184832.jpg

20200108_190435.jpg

• Sad 6

Ouch, sorry that happened, your Duncan looked AMAZING! 😞

I guess nothing beats a reef sitter when going on extended leave.  What was the tank Specific Gravity/salinity at when you got back?  Also, did the tank water get low enough to where the circulation pump starts shooting tons of air into the water?

• Thanks 1

Oh, that's bad. 

Don't throw away any stony coral skeletons. They may have a tiny chance of reviving. And, if nothing else, they won't actively harm anything. I'd also suggest a very big water change to remove the waste materials from what did die and rot, and that you begin slowly acclimating things down to the proper salinity.

• Thanks 1

I am sorry.  Your Duncan  was beautiful.  It looks like most of the tentacles have been eaten but it may not be completely gone.  Give it a chance.  My Duncan started looking like that then I saw the sexy shrimp tear tentacles  off and have a snack.  Mine looked pretty bad but it is starting to come back and it looks like shin might be trying to grow over where the eaten heads were.  

• Thanks 1

I'm so sorry for you and the clown.

Your Duncan was gorgeous. 

What's the situation right now parameters wise?

I would do a waterchange, run new floss, and new carbon. 

Don't give up!  anything with flesh may come back. 

• Thanks 1
fishkeepersaltnfresh

Thank you all for your motivation. Fingers crossed. I hope Duncan comes back.... 

@Seadragon, I had turned off the circulation pump when I went on vacation.

I did partial water change 3 times that week. have kept it as is for the past week. Planning to again do a partial water change 

6 minutes ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Thank you all for your motivation. Fingers crossed. I hope Duncan comes back.... 

I did partial water change 3 times that week. have kept it as is for the past week. Planning to again do a partial water change 

Turning off the pump may have caused issues.

Lack of nutrients reaching corals, debris collecting on them, lack of oxygenation.

Have you tested params?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Out of curiosity, why did you turn off the circulation pump before going on vacation?

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

I turned off circulation thinking of worst case (which actually happened i.e. ATO failing)

I'm gonna guess, that you're trying to prevent unnecessary evaporation?

I see that you may also have one or two HOB filters that would provide some flow while the circulation pump was off? 

Otherwise, like many had questioned, no flow at all would also caused the corals decline as well.

• Thanks 1
On 1/9/2020 at 11:45 AM, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

I had turned off the circulation pump when I went on vacation.

More or less equivalent to turning off the tank's lungs.

The ATO failure may not have had a chance to matter.

By the same token, some corals might recover once you restore flow....so don't remove anything.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
fishkeepersaltnfresh

Well, I lost my clown today. His final resting place was under his Duncan. RIP buddy. I would like to believe that he was grieving for his Duncan and was heartbroken..... Maybe it is just a coincidence. he was with me for 2.5 yrs....

20200125_173810.jpg

• Sad 5
6 minutes ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Well, I lost my clown today. His final resting place was under his Duncan. RIP buddy. I would like to believe that he was grieving for his Duncan and was heartbroken..... Maybe it is just a coincidence. he was with me for 2.5 yrs....

20200125_173810.jpg

Sorry 😞.  That image combined with the context that you gave makes it such a sad story.  I know that we all get attached to our favorite pets and our babies (clownfish) are no different.

• Thanks 1
On 1/25/2020 at 5:45 PM, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

20200125_173810.jpg

I am so sorry for your loss.  The pic and that heartbreaking story has me fighting off tears.  May he rest in peace 😞

• Thanks 1

So sorry 😞 I am guessing all the dying coral has really done a number on the water quality. I would be running carbon for any potential toxins from dying coral and keeping an eye on ammonia. 

• Thanks 1

I feel your pain. I was working out of town for 3 weeks. Wife took care of tank. When I got home I

noticed that one of my clams had died and the over all health of the tank was sad. I'm very concerned now.

May be leaving for California for 8 weeks. Keeping fingers X'ed . Sorry for your loss.

• Thanks 1