Coral Vue Hydros

RoyalGramma001

Hi everyone, I was wondering if Tridacna Clams need special lighting? Specifically Maxima Clams, I am wondering if my current light (a freshwater LED plant light) would work for a Maxima Clam?

13 minutes ago, RoyalGramma001 said:

Hi everyone, I was wondering if Tridacna Clams need special lighting? Specifically Maxima Clams, I am wondering if my current light (a freshwater LED plant light) would work for a Maxima Clam?

No. They need good/strong reef lighting and a mature system to thrive. You should look into some reef capable lighting. Freshwater lights aren’t ideal, probably not even for low light corals such as zoas. 

• 5 months later...
RoyalGramma001

Alright, haven’t updated in a while but my wrasse dies because of a nitrate spike in the tank a couple weeks ago. I am buying a new reef light and I am finally getting some corals. I think for a new fish I will get another clownfish for the tank. I am starting with Soft Corals and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a beginning coral keeper?

RoyalGramma001

Sorry for not updating very often, not sure anyone cares, but I’m starting to do a weekly update every Friday from now on to show progress of the tank.

Have you researched coral yet? Most people start with some soft corals or LPS. But many end up also wanting SPS and which light you get often determine which coral you can actually grow. Many lights will keep corals alive but not always show their vibrate colors or have much growth. If you get a chance read a few of the write ups for the featured tank of the month winners. The information shared will give you a good idea of what works and what does not. Journals are also good but tend to be much longer. Happy reefing.

RoyalGramma001

Yes I am getting coral in a couple of weeks. The new light I ordered hasn’t come yet. I am going to get a torch coral and an anemone for the clownfish.

RoyalGramma001

New update I just got a new light for my tank. I bought the Current Orbit Marine LED Loop and so far I love it. I checked par and it should be good for anything according to the information on the website. I think I'm going to add a bubble tip anemone soon and a torch coral and zooanthid or montipora frag. As for my sea star I am trying to spot feed him pellets, does anyone have any suggestions on how to spot feed train a starfish. Anyways here are some photos.large.8499A233-FEA5-48C6-A6A9-A2CB03A74172.jpeg.3e8bd551f74e252f8ca2b0fe1548c78f.jpeglarge.56973DE8-8688-4F20-B3AC-DA390BAE2657.jpeg.c3a9a25ce2339649c192efd0d7d1fcb4.jpeg

• 4 months later...
RoyalGramma001

Ok it's been a while since I updated. Here's what's been happening, I got a lobophyllia, gsp, fox coral, anthelia, and torch. I got a ruby red mithrax crab that went rogue and was returned. Here's a full tank pic

large.E9AEBFBF-3771-48DA-A864-4366ABFEBFFF.jpeg.c6da09c62d90b6d49dbe7d6f62b35d6f.jpeg