Pod Your Reef

Ich and velvet

Ortega37

I got a reef tank with about 100g. About a month ago I got ich or velvet and wiped out my whole tank. I got a 6 line wrasse left in the tank with no signs of parasites. I know I most leave my tank with no fish for at least 75 days but I cannot get the wrasse out. My question is ; the wrasse has 0 signs of parasites, do I need to get him out in order for the parasites to disappear from the tank? 

thank you, I really appreciate any help. 

Yes. In order for a tank to be totally eradicated of the parasite there cannot be  host for the parasite to live off of.

So a 8 week minimum fallow period is standard.

On 1/6/2020 at 12:32 AM, Ortega37 said:

My question is ; the wrasse has 0 signs of parasites, do I need to get him out in order for the parasites to disappear from the tank? 

I hate to jump in with advice on something like this without more background.   

Having too many assumptions when in a situation like you are is never helpful.  👍

That leaves you in a "win some and lose some" situation (or worse).

Questions

How old is this tank?

How was it started?  (I.e. dead rock or live?  how was it cycled?  what kind of filtration?)

How old was it when all the fish went in?

How many fish went in all at once?  (list?)

Were the fish from local or online and how were they acclimated or quarantined?  (Details, pls!)

Observations

It would be helpful to have a visual confirmation of the pathogen. 

Any chance you examined any of the moralities with or without a microscope or hand lens to confirm what happened to them?

• 4 months later...
Nthanhalan

following.....my tank is completely free of fish for the last 6 months.  They all died of velvet and I have been out of town that long. Is it okay now to enter the fish? and should I do all at once, or slowing? like 4 tangs?

Everything is done better SLOWLY on a reef tank.....so add your livestock VERY slowly....one at a time if at all possible....and with AT LEAST a week in between additions...a month in between would be MUCH better.  (It's unlikely that Tangs would be the best to start with, but maybe post your ideas for a fish list?)

If you've never read Marine Aquarium Handbook Beginner to Breeder then I'd highly recommend doing so ASAP.....ideally before you begin re-stocking.  Doing so will most likely generate a lot of questions.  👍