ReefCleaners.org

Hosts for Clown?

tommy

What are good hosts for a ocellaris clown? I have an Eclipse 6 and a 32w smartlite. The only coral I have is a branching hammer which gets about 6" fully stretched and when the fish swims by, It shrinks a little. I also have a samll frogspawn coming soon. thanks

Soft corals...Cladiella, Capnella, Lithophityon, Nephthea, Sinularia. Xenia.

Colts, Kenya trees, Toadstools ....etc.

Mushrooms.. Rhodactus( With caution) discoma sanctithomas are excelent, yet uncommon, Ampiliduecus SP?

Elephant ears, Cups, Bubbles, Riccordia all good.

LPS... Euphyllias, Trochophylia/ Wellosphylia Brains,

Dunscapia, Plerogyra Sp. Octo Bubbles ( with caution),

Scolymola, Cynaria. Doughnuts.

All are good

As well as a bunch of lightly inflated balloons tied together and placed on a rock to simulate an Anemone..... It doesnt last long, but fer breeding Clowns, it seems to work fer an associate of mine.

DONT keep Anemones if you are a beginner... the sucess rate is less than 2 %. Just a FYI B)

Both those corals mentioned may be taken as hosts. Just be warned, that the corals may not appreciate this. Clowns have a tendancy to "rub" their hosts, an this can cause irritation as the coral's fragile tissue is mushed into its skeleton. I have a clown that's been hosting in a frogspawn for several weeks now, and no problems so far. Although a friend had 2 clowns hosting in a hammer for months before the hammer finally got sick of them and retracted for good. I'm hoping for the best.

BustytheSnowMaam

My male clown (tank-raised) has bonded with my toadstool leather (sarcophyton). He doesn't go inside of it, he hangs out beneath it, in the shade of the crown. This has happened over a process of several months.

Tasha

BustytheSnowMaam

I also read somewhere once that if you take one of those clownfish feeder-clip things and put it by a coral or anemone you want your clown to bond with, it will think the clip is another clown and will take to the coral or anemone faster.

Tasha

glazer Blinked and typed in a blinding drug induced Stupor....

Oh and of course there is always the mini mag float glass cleaner thingie... My clown is a 'tard.

He said " 'tard.". :D

A friend of mine got a BTA clone for his clowns. The clowns were clueless. He taped a photo of clowns in a BTA on the outside of his tank. His clowns are now happily imitating the "neighbors".

Thanks for all the replies, I read a post on reefcentral the other day and taped a pic of a clown next to my hammer. So far all the clown does is swim by it. My clown's a 'tard too.

hehe good idea goby. I should get my stupid clowns to do something besides beg (NO MORE SHRiMP, MAGGOTS!!!) and bite me when i clean the glass (WAARRRGG!!!!! you FOOLISH BEASTS!!!)

Haha, my clowns are " 'tards " :D

(little fiends seem to like my rio pump, i better change that ???)

Just another note- my clown took about 2 months before he took to my frogspawn, so just have patience. I looked at the tank one day and coudn't find the clown. Then he poked his head out from within the mass of frog tentacles.

Since no one's mentioned it.... there's also the very likely case that they just won't take anything as a host, especially if they're tank-raised clowns. My two TR ocellaris don't maintain a relationship with anything in the tank for more than 2 days. And even then, it's a weak relationship... usually just a favorite (inanmine) sleeping spot, like on top of the powerheads, or a particular rock jutting. They've never given my xenia or torch a glance.

Archived