inTank Media Baskets

Anemone after eating

tkw1978

My anemone slumped down after a feeding one day.  I’ve had it for a month now and never seen that before.

is this normal, some before a after pics below.  

I have it in a Evo 13.5.

58F75CD5-7FFB-4D0F-B5D1-435B6B938718.jpeg

A86695D8-B136-4154-8DDF-9BE5D90C9DD3.jpeg

It's normal. Every Anemone Ive had would close up a bit after eating. Its a sign that it has captured some food and is pushing it toward its mouth. Although I'm surprised this is first time you have seen it.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else had better luck NOT feeding anemones?  I've read of side-effects from feeding that range from simple mysteries like this to death of the anemone.

I do feed them a little when they're in a holding system alone, waiting for sale.  But once they're in a tank with fish, there doesn't seem to be any need.  In my experience on a bunch of different tanks, they stay healthy, grow and split without being directly fed -- often too much on the growth and splitting!  😎

Something to consider at least.  👍

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Anyone else had better luck NOT feeding anemones?  I've read of side-effects from feeding that range from simple mysteries like this to death of the anemone.

I do feed them a little when they're in a holding system alone, waiting for sale.  But once they're in a tank with fish, there doesn't seem to be any need.  In my experience on a bunch of different tanks, they stay healthy, grow and split without being directly fed -- often too much on the growth and splitting!  😎

Something to consider at least.  👍

@mcarroll I was advised by my LFS to not feed mine at all and I never have. I've had it around 7 months or so and had no issues thus far. I've not seen huge amounts of growth but it has grown nicely and seems generally healthy. 

• Like 1