ReefCleaners.org

Berghia Success Story

SamieSQL

Back in April of 2019, I spent a small fortune and purchased 3 large Berghia Nudibranch from Capt. Jeff (jeff@reeftown.com) (https://reeftown.com).  He shipped them overnight from Florida, and I put the tiny fuzzy creatures in my 29 gallon aquarium which had been desperately overrun with aptasia.. for what seems like forever.

That was back in April, and it's now December, all aptiasia are gone. Since putting the berghia in my tank, I have only spotted 1 individual 1 time very early in the morning (about 3AM) and never since. Even the very large aptasia I had.. those are gone, too. Amazing, and I honestly didn't notice it happen until I looked in one day and said 'Hmm... Hey Brett, do you remember that big glass anemone on the top of that rock? <yeah why?> Well, it's gone".

I think I should also point out that once I put the berghia in the tank, I ignored the tank... I didn't add new fish.. I didn't add new coral.. heck I barely even changed the water. I simply left it alone. The glass got overrun with coralline algae so bad I couldn't see through it. So I pulled out a razor blade last month, scraped it all off and waited for the "dust" to settle. When I came back about an hour later, I found no aptasia - anywhere. I don't advocate neglect, and I still fed my tank. I just wanted to mention that I didn't mess with it... might be worth noting.

I have been keeping saltwater fish since the early 1980's... and my dad has been in the hobby far longer. We remember when glass anemones were sold as pets, not pests!
We've never seen anything this effective.

• Like 2

Yep, the lil guys work! SaltyUnderground has 'em too. I got some smallish ones on sale. $50 (plus another $25 in corals to get free shipping), then left 'em alone, and goodbye aiptasia. I saw one a couple of times, tucked into a nook in the rock somewhere. Way easier than trying to kill the things by hand, and it doesn't mess your rockscape up any.