ReefCleaners.org

Eshopps CUBE NANO REFUGIUM SUMP

Chris882003

Hello everyone I have a water box 20 and was thinking about using one Eshopps cube nano refugium sump. I did some searching and there is not much out there. How would you go about setting one up with an all in one tank like the water box? 

You need to either drill the tank if you even can or make an overflow. You’ll want to put it in the chamber where the pump normally is. That overflows down to your sump and you’ll pump back up from it to your main tank. This way water flows through all your chambers but also through the sump you’re adding. 

On 12/28/2019 at 12:26 PM, smirkis said:

You need to either drill the tank if you even can or make an overflow. You’ll want to put it in the chamber where the pump normally is. That overflows down to your sump and you’ll pump back up from it to your main tank. This way water flows through all your chambers but also through the sump you’re adding. 

Thanks for replying I was thinking about using the overflow box. Removing everything from the back chambers and putting the overflow box in the middle chamber that one is the biggest. 

1 hour ago, Chris882003 said:

Thanks for replying I was thinking about using the overflow box. Removing everything from the back chambers and putting the overflow box in the middle chamber that one is the biggest. 

If you do this the water in the final chamber will be very stagnant. I’d try to find a way to put the overflow in the last chamber where the pump normally goes. 

9 hours ago, smirkis said:

If you do this the water in the final chamber will be very stagnant. I’d try to find a way to put the overflow in the last chamber where the pump normally goes. 

Thanks, I did not think of the chamber 3 being stagnant. I am not sure if I can do this chamber 3 is small. Also the return pump goes in the sump. I would like to see some pictures. But I guess not many people add a sump to an all in one 20 gallon tank. 

Thanks again for replying 

5 hours ago, Chris882003 said:

Thanks, I did not think of the chamber 3 being stagnant. I am not sure if I can do this chamber 3 is small. Also the return pump goes in the sump. I would like to see some pictures. But I guess not many people add a sump to an all in one 20 gallon tank. 

Thanks again for replying 

By adding a sump, your pump will be down in that. I can try to draw you a diagram. The most important part of all this is making sure you test power outages. If your sump is too small, when power cuts out it “could” cause the sump to overflow as water settles between the two tanks. 

The basic design is like this:

water is pumped up from your sump into your main display spray nozzle (where your old pump from chamber 3 was hooked up)

Water overflows thru your AIO into chamber 1

water flows thru to chamber 2

water flows thru to chamber 3

chamber 3 has the overflow and water overflows back down to your sump

bug again make sure you test for power outages. If your sump is too small and can’t handle the settling overflow water it’ll spill out

On 12/30/2019 at 12:25 PM, smirkis said:

By adding a sump, your pump will be down in that. I can try to draw you a diagram. The most important part of all this is making sure you test power outages. If your sump is too small, when power cuts out it “could” cause the sump to overflow as water settles between the two tanks. 

The basic design is like this:

water is pumped up from your sump into your main display spray nozzle (where your old pump from chamber 3 was hooked up)

Water overflows thru your AIO into chamber 1

water flows thru to chamber 2

water flows thru to chamber 3

chamber 3 has the overflow and water overflows back down to your sump

bug again make sure you test for power outages. If your sump is too small and can’t handle the settling overflow water it’ll spill out

Thanks for the reply that is something I don’t think about.