SaltCritters.com

any color deficient reefers out there ? what test kits ?

tjongster

so......... im red green color deficient ! 

and its almost impossible for me to accurately read the test kits ! anyone out there too ? 

right now im using salifert kits ! but worried im reading it wrongly ! 

any one out there using other solutions ? ive seen hanna instruments but damn are they expensive ! hahah 

MainelyReefer

Hanna checkers with digital readout,  or be lazy like me and don’t test at all just change the water weekly!

1 hour ago, tjongster said:

....... im red green color deficient

Christmas looks like what to you? Haha everything is red and green this time of year

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, GraniteReefer said:

Hanna checkers with digital readout,  or be lazy like me and don’t test at all just change the water weekly!

Christmas looks like what to you? Haha everything is red and green this time of year

Works a lil less like that but I do still see some red and green! Hanna checkers definately would do the job but they only have calc alk and phos readers 😞

• Like 2
GetPsyched2124

I'm red-green deficient as well.

My current tank i started with the API for ammonia, phosphate, nitrite, and nitrate. it's near impossible to tell the differences in the nitrate. It was honestly just a rough guess for me what the levels read at. nitrate is easy to tell if it's zero, but since you don't want it at zero, it doesn't really help. I pretty much did two things, i'd go by if it was really dark on any of the levels, it's bad or if my girlfriend was home, i'd just ask her what the level was at. My current tank is about 17 months old, and i haven't tested nitrate, phosphate, or ammonia for probably 8-9 months.

for calcium and alk, i use salifert. it's easier than since you're not comparing the end color to a range of other shades of that color. and it's easier for me to distinguish the color change from blue to red/pink and green to purple/blue. I test alk once or twice a week and calcium once a week to every other week.

5 hours ago, tjongster said:

so......... im red green color deficient ! 

and its almost impossible for me to accurately read the test kits ! anyone out there too ? 

right now im using salifert kits ! but worried im reading it wrongly ! 

any one out there using other solutions ? ive seen hanna instruments but damn are they expensive ! hahah 

I use hanna for alk and phos because trying tell the difference between the slight changes in colour is pretty difficult and annoying.

I wish hanna had a nitrate test, I'd definitely use it. They are such easy, fast kits to use and no more guessing results.

• Like 1