Coral Vue Hydros

Jebao SLW-10 Wave Pump

smirkis

I just wanted to share some first hand experience with the newer Jebao SLW series pumps in a nano. Before I ordered mine I searched everywhere for first hand reviews or comments. Surprisingly there are basically no posts or comments talking about first hand experience in a positive or negative form. Here are my thoughts after replacing 2 Jebao RW-4s in my Fluval Evo 13.5.

Before I got the SLW-10 I had 2 Jebao RW-4's in my tank and with 1 mounted on the false wall and the other mounted across from it so both pumps were facing eachother. The 2 RW-4s together moved a ton of water but in a more commonly known way. Each RW-4 shoots out a more commonly known stream of water. The column being pushed is about 1-2 inches wide at most and it only moves water around that stream as it bounces off the end of your tank and starts the "circulation" of water in your tank. The SLW-10 is nothing like this.

First off, this thing is DEAD silent. The unit is so small and looks really cool in the tank. I removed both of my RW-4s and only put 1 SLW-10 in my tank on the opposite end of my false wall blowing towards the falls wall of my Evo 13.5. The moment I plugged it in I immediately realized how much water this thing moves. For it's size this was a huge surprise and really exciting. The water column it pushes out seems more like 4-8 inches wide and with only 1 pump vs 2, I can see it moving even more water than when I had 2 pumps. I run a mixed reef and keep mine 3 clicks from the lowest setting. I could probably run it at 1 tbh. If you like high flow there are no issues there, turning it up will move some serious water in such a way you'll wonder how you went so long without a pump like this in your reef.

Yes this pump is a knockoff of the Nero. Yes the Nero is a badass pump. If you prefer the name brand by all means grab the Nero. But if you're like most of us budget reefers, or someone looking at saving some money on a pump that still operates great you wont be disappointed with owning a Jebao SLW series pump. I've used Jebaos for YEARS. I've had my 2 Jebao RW-4s for over 5 years and they still work today. I know people tend to hate on Jebao for being a chinese knockoff company without great customer support or service, but I've never had an issue with my products and this is the experience I wanted to share.

I am more than happy to answer any questions people may have about the pump or controller, or how I like it in my tank. I just wanted to get some words down so when others are searching for first hand experience they actually find something and don't feel 100% blind in making this purchase like I was. Even though I couldn't find any actual first hand experience posts on this pump, I'm glad I took the plunge and can't believe I didn't do this sooner. Toodles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

picture and/or video please...

These aren’t the best as I just snagged them with my iPhone and the tank is a peninsula so it’s viewable on 3 sides but here you go

I can only upload 25mb I guess but here is a link to the video

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rWxJXo6wLpFbubHMA

I used food to kind of demonstrate the flow circulation in the tank. This is in else mode at speed 3

778A5BFA-6C0F-49C5-BE23-02AFC3911872.jpeg

2AC959D6-4B56-41C1-B1D0-7E233472894D.jpeg

C559D740-DBBF-4FB9-ACD4-705CB9A77570.jpeg

9922B579-DFDF-43E7-9D77-C944F0D01411.jpeg

108122F3-8D92-4B46-B865-89C49FDFAAED.jpeg

A6BFD804-D7CD-41C1-9F0B-649714339705.jpeg

5E1E108D-7878-44FC-88B1-EC9939AE2AE2.jpeg

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

To be fair the reefbreeders newest rebranded coral view pump (RP-M) is just a part-swapped Jebao SW series and people seem to love them.

Maybe, but the RP-M pump only comes in 1 size and I don’t have both to compare them in size or performance. The SLW comes in 3 sizes and uses the exact same controller as all their older pumps for those that are already familiar with them. The only difference is the sine wave feature which basically pulses the pump in a more steady on off pattern vs on/off like the older ones which is supposed to help it last longer even tho I never had an issue with my 2 older RWs.

As far as price goes, the RP-M series is a hundred dollars vs these SLWs being 60-70 on eBay. Just expect to wait around 2 weeks when ordering. Most of the “US Sellers” on eBay use a warehouse address here but actually ship from over seas still. Or the guy I ordered from did. He printed the label the day I paid but didn’t scan into Usps for 10 days before it started moving. 

• 3 months later...

I just ordered a ow series pump. Same controller and motor/impeller 

Hope it comes soon in the mail. I havent owned any jebao product so i hope all goes well. I have read good honest reviews like yours here and im thankful for that

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

still using mine and haven't had a single issue with durability. still works today as it did the day i got it. just thought i'd share. i know not everyone has the same experience but i think it is good for others to know that not every device out there breaks. people with problems are more likely to post about a product vs people who have working items that don't come back here to share all the good. but i'm here to share that mine has been working great.

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
cheesesteak

I just wanted to add an update in case anyone stumbles across this while researching. The SLW-10 is perfect for larger picos, and definitely up to at least 20 gallons probably. I have one in a 10 inch cube (4 gal) and at its lowest setting (wave 2, speed 1) it's the perfect amount of flow. Its also basically silent and the controller offers good options.

Gif below. 

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IME, i can see the adjustable minimum @%30 in the application. That is fine for a tank like dim:50x40x25h (in cm) 40 liters nano.

After %50, the force is strong in a brand new motor. I will check again when it really kicks in and after few months the detrius build up.

It makes some noise @%100 on a 6mm glass (with the default one direction rubber set). 

• Like 1

Has anyone had issues with the controller knob that rotates to set the frequency of pulses on W1 mode? The pulses seem to be defaulted to a fast frequency, turning the knob does nothing, but if you forcefully push the knob hard enough, it reduces the frequency. I'm guessing it's a connectivity issue. I bought 2 units of the SLW-20 (1 from Amazon, 1 from Aliexpress) and they both have the same problem.

A little fed up... Wondering if anyone has the same issues or a way to fix it?

Not sure if I should just exchange for another unit, or just go with the Nero 3.

• 3 weeks later...

Well my first SW10-M wireless unit has given errors in three days and stopped ("Wifi module and motherboard communication failure" and "pump body stall").

Vendor changed it with a brand new one and again in 15 days it gave "pump body stall" error and stopped. This time i checked the propeller and with a small thrust it started working (That time i had included a current protector to the system so if that had been an electrical issue that would guard it).

So i really enjoyed this model barely for three weeks and kinda like its programmability and wave patterns, but in general i have no joy.

Checked the web for similar issues and started to think that this line has some design or production problems (bought from an official jebao distributor).

That's really unfortunate to hear, the SDW (not SLW) series so far has treated me well. I did have issues in the past with sicce powerheads needing a "nudge" to get going again, is that only happening after pausing it for feeding or maintenance?

• Like 1
On 2/5/2021 at 9:45 PM, A.m.P said:

That's really unfortunate to hear, the SDW (not SLW) series so far has treated me well. I did have issues in the past with sicce powerheads needing a "nudge" to get going again, is that only happening after pausing it for feeding or maintenance?

Well i was away for three days and when came back it was not working. After checking the propeller, no issues so far. But still curious if that's going to happen again or not 🙂. Otherwise i really enjoy it's performance.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m looking for something to move water around driftwood in my 17 gallon freshwater planted tank (24” long x 14” tall x 12” deep). My nano fish don’t love being blown around the tank so I’m hoping to find a powerhead or wave maker with adjustable flow. I think the Koralia Nano 240 is probably too strong (?).  So I started looking at the Jebao SLWs — 5, 10, and 20.  Any suggestions or experience about which size would be best for my tank?  Thank you. 

• 1 month later...

I purchased my SLW-10 for the Fluval Evo tank, perhaps because I have mostly LPS and an upgraded return pump, I found it was way to powerful even on the lowest setting. May I should have went with the SLW-5 instead but they seem to be harder to find.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 10:35 AM, Nickybfishfree said:

Hi I've just been given a slw20. But the controller is just flashing, I've tried it in water and still the same. Is this a fault anyone has come across before

Mine did the same, the fan tends to freeze up if it hasn’t been used in awhile, rinse under fresh water and spin the fan with your fingers. That’s should free it up 

Has anyone used both this and a AI Nero 3? Obviously I know there is a huge price difference. Wanting to get a little bit of wave motion going on in my NUVO 20 and curious which would be a better option? 

7 hours ago, Coldcloud said:

Has anyone used both this and a AI Nero 3? Obviously I know there is a huge price difference. Wanting to get a little bit of wave motion going on in my NUVO 20 and curious which would be a better option? 

If you aren't on a budget, i'd grab the nero just for the warranty and added control from your device.

The jebao pumps function great but its nice having a 1-100% slider rather than a handful of little dots on a controller.

I've had my jebaos longer than my nero but I am happy with both