Pod Your Reef

placement for bulkheads need some help

bboi84

hi all. so new post and another new tank. so I have recently ordered and took delivery today of a 90l tank that I have decided to add a sump to to make it more like a larger set up its nothing particularly flashy just somewhere to store everything but I'm a little confused as to placement for bulk heads. I have decided on one drain and 2 returns each with 2 outlets and plan on using the tmc dc4000 as the return pump and also plan on adding a weir. im just wondering at what size the bulkheads should be and also what height I should be drilling the holes at. I have included a pic that shows the tank and the sharpie'd square that will be the weir 

hope this makes some sense 

thanks in advance 

Adam

new tank.jpg

To help prevent breaking the glass, bulkheads need to be cut at least an inch from an edge.  Placement of your overflow will determine the water level (which will be a little higher than the bottom of the teeth).  Overflows can take up a sizable amount of space, which may interfere with your plans.

The returns (or return) should be located with the middle below the waterline.  The lower it is, the more water will back flow into your sump when it is shut off, or loses power.

If you want it all on the back wall, you might have to consider one drain and one return.

thanks seabass for the help I think I got some wording in my original post wrong. the square that I marked out is for the overflow box and im thinking that the drain should be close to the bottom line of the overflow box?? or nearer the top?? not sure with this.

Thank you for explaining the returns that makes perfect sense and thankfully I can fit the 3 holes on the back wall for the returns and the drain which was my original idea and had made sure that I would have space for all three its just placements off all of them from the top that is confusing me 

51 minutes ago, bboi84 said:

im thinking that the drain should be close to the bottom line of the overflow box?? or nearer the top?? not sure with this.

I'm not sure that it'll matter too much.  Some overflows have the drain coming right off the bottom, while others have a standpipe to reduce the waterfall coming from the display.  However, it should be lower than the teeth.

• 1 month later...

so I know that its been a little while but I have finally got around to drilling my tank I managed to get all 3 holes on the back. now just need to do a small amount of sanding to enlarge the holes slightly for the threading on the bulkheads then need to order my little weir/overflow for the drain hole  and can also get the back of the tank sticky back plastic and it will be nearly ready to start having some fish in 

drilled tank.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bboi84 said:

now just need to do a small amount of sanding to enlarge the holes slightly for the threading on the bulkheads

Do you have a Dremel with a sanding drum?

so I have found some connectors for the back of the bulkhead I'm just wondering if you think these will be ok. the pump I plan on using is a tmc dc4000 |(so no need for a wave maker) it comes with a 20mm connector so will need to be reduced at the splitter to 10mm to connect to these fittings that then go into the 25mm bulkheads. I don't see that they will be a problem but would like others opinions to make sure before I go out and buy the rest of the piping that I will need. please see pic below

thanks in advance 

Adam 

connector.jpg

This guy is extra salty
On 2/1/2020 at 5:51 PM, bboi84 said:

so I know that its been a little while but I have finally got around to drilling my tank I managed to get all 3 holes on the back. now just need to do a small amount of sanding to enlarge the holes slightly for the threading on the bulkheads then need to order my little weir/overflow for the drain hole  and can also get the back of the tank sticky back plastic and it will be nearly ready to start having some fish in 

drilled tank.jpg

Hopefully the holes are the same distance from the rim 😬