Top Shelf Aquatics

Any more fish for my tank?????

Aleric

Hi all! I have a 40 gallon tank with two Wyoming white clownfish, one lawnmower blenny, a royal gramma, skunk shrimp, snails, hermits, and have a fire fish goby in qt right now. can I get one or two more fish???? Anyone have a tank fav?!!?!

5 fish in a 40 gallon is well into being more than enough. Don't add more. In fact, keep a very close eye on your parameters as everything grows and matures. And watch for bullying- your firefish is a very shy fish, which should not be added last into a tank that contains potential bullies. 

You could do 1 small fish. The fish you currently have aren't large fish except maybe the blenny when he gets large.

I have 4 fish in a 25g which seems to be a common amount for that size.

It all depends on what fish you want to add. I wouldn't do one that is passive or gets large.

You could do 1 small fish. The fish you currently have aren't large fish except maybe the blenny when he gets large.

It all depends on what fish you want to add. I wouldn't do one that is passive or gets large.

20 hours ago, Tired said:

5 fish in a 40 gallon is well into being more than enough. Don't add more. In fact, keep a very close eye on your parameters as everything grows and matures. And watch for bullying- your firefish is a very shy fish, which should not be added last into a tank that contains potential bullies. 

I have had this tank for quite a while and the parameters are always stable I test weekly...never had  nitrates more that 0 it’s a miracle! 

8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

My blenny has grown over the years to about 5 inches so I think he’s close to done...Do you think a chromis? Also very sad my firefish died after first day in Qt with Brooklynella so will be waiting awhile for the decease to cycle out before getting a new fish.

1 hour ago, Aleric said:

My blenny has grown over the years to about 5 inches so I think he’s close to done...Do you think a chromis? Also very sad my firefish died after first day in Qt with Brooklynella so will be waiting awhile for the decease to cycle out before getting a new fish.

Good for you for using a QT though. 

I would skip chromis only because they come with Uronema Marinum disease often and once it is in your tank, you can't remove it. I do think you have room for more fish though. 

Do you have a lid? If so, a smaller wrasse would add nice activity. A small Yellow Coris, Lubbocks, Mccosker wrasse, etc... would all be appropriate types for a 40g.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Aleric said:

Sorry about the fish, that really sucks 

Good thing it was in qt.

0 nitrates isn't optimal for corals, so you wanna get that to 2-5 at least.