Pod Your Reef

Is my clownfish sick?

Amaleec

Hello everyone! I noticed my clown fish was losing some of its color, and fear we may be facing a case of brook 😞 I did a freshwater dip for three minutes to try to give the guy some relief. But he’s breathing heavy and not too keen on eating. I’ve been dipping his pellets in garlic guard to try to get him to eat. He’s eaten one or two pellets but not doing his little happy dance during feeding time anymore.

I was hoping to received a confirmation as to if this is Brook or not. If so, are there any recommended treatments I can pick up at PetSmart or PetCo tomorrow? I looked around for some formaldehyde but had no luck. I’m in FL.

I was also thinking it could be due to poor water quality - I’m currently fighting off an ammonia spike with water changes every few days. Or even just turning on the lights during an hour where the fish is usually sleeping. Besides the labored breathing, I do not see any other signs of Brook, Ich or anything else. Thoughts?

Thanks!

ED641B2A-F7AA-4521-A2DB-985DA49B1F0C.jpeg

D158F4A2-1E45-4B73-BE01-D7B92B0BDF03.jpeg

Oh wow that doesn't look good.

The only thing Petco might have is metro.

If you can't find the proper med I would try peroxide (experimental but better than nothing)...unless your fish has open wounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's definitely brook (pretty advanced case too). 🙁

You have two options for temporary relief on a Sunday...

30 min H2O2 bath: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/405330-hydrogen-peroxide-fish-treatment-information/

5 min FW dip: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/401919-freshwater-dip-fish-treatment-information/

Post dip/bath, transfer the fish into a sterile QT to prevent reinfection. Observe closely to see if symptoms return. If they do, you'll need formalin or Ruby Reef Rally to completely knock this out.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The fish passed away this morning. The Brook works very fast. I think I’m going to just go for a fallow period, as this is the second clown that I’ve lost to some kind of parasite. At first I thought it was ich, but it has clearly turned out to be Brook. Poor baby.

I have a neon blue cleaner goby and a lawnmower blenny. How would I go about setting up a little (cost effective please) qt tank for them to start the fallow period? 

I want to thank you all for your help!

P.S. never buying anything else from PetCo 🙄