ReefCleaners.org

Sea squirt care?

Tired

image0.jpg?width=840&height=630

Just found this little fella. It's about half an inch cubed, and I didn't see it there when I put the rock in, so I think it's grown since then. It's definitely a sea squirt, it retreats if gently provoked. 

Anyone had any luck keeping these lil things alive? The couple of care guides I found were for big sea squirts, and said things like "feed at least once a day, preferably more with phytoplankton" and talked about how hard they are to keep alive. Given that this has been growing itself, I'm guessing it's a bit less demanding than the big ones that people try to keep on purpose. Should I just continue to do as I've been doing, try to keep some nutrients in the water (like I already am for my corals and feather dusters), and hope it does well? 

• Like 1

Oh, and, one of my favorite facts: that up there is one of our closest non-vertebrate relatives.

unknown.png

This is a chart of animal phyla, as far as we know. There are likely more invertebrates of various sorts than we think. 

First of all, that huge piece there, arthropods. Arthropods are things with armored, jointed legs. Think crabs, centipedes, butterflies. Things with exoskeletons. 23% of all known animal species (not all known arthropods- all known ANIMALS) are beetles. Nearly 1/4 that chart is made up of beetles. 

But the relevant point is that kind of pistachio green section in there, Chordata. That includes all animals with notochords. It's lancelets (which are, essentially, simplified boneless fish), sea squirts like the one above, and vertebrates. All vertebrates on this planet fit into that section, with other things included. Our closest non-vertebrate relatives are animals that, although they start out mobile and tadpole-like, glue their heads to the substrate and become bags of nothing as adults. And that is fascinating.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tired said:

image0.jpg?width=840&height=630

Just found this little fella. It's about half an inch cubed, and I didn't see it there when I put the rock in, so I think it's grown since then. It's definitely a sea squirt, it retreats if gently provoked. 

Anyone had any luck keeping these lil things alive? The couple of care guides I found were for big sea squirts, and said things like "feed at least once a day, preferably more with phytoplankton" and talked about how hard they are to keep alive. Given that this has been growing itself, I'm guessing it's a bit less demanding than the big ones that people try to keep on purpose. Should I just continue to do as I've been doing, try to keep some nutrients in the water (like I already am for my corals and feather dusters), and hope it does well? 

Very cool. I have bright yellow tunicates in my 75 gallon tank that have been there for a year and a half and I do not feed them.