SaltCritters.com

Light mount for peninsula tanks

D.J.

I’m setting up a NUVO 14g peninsula and want to make sure I have a sleek look and can support primarily SPS stocking. I have some height limitations on my light and can only mount it about 7” above the tank. I’m afraid that a Prime will creat too much shadowing due to the length of the tank and am leaning towards one of the new Hydra 32s to have a second point of light. I’d like to use an arm mount attached to the back (short end) of the tank but would want the light to orient along the long end of the tank. Basically, I want to mount the light rotated  90 degrees from the normal way. I know the AI brand arm mounts allow for the light to rotate but haven’t seen any pictures where the light is rotated a full 90 degrees. Does anyone know if they can rotate that far?  

also, does anyone have experience with hydras over a 14g peninsula?  Am I crazy for not just getting a Prime?  

thanks!

Oof that's a Lotta light! Yes I believe you should be able to mount anyway you can. If not. Some simple hardware pieces at home depot should solve the trick. 

Oh perfect. Those are the AI mounts?

it is a lot of light... certainly more than I need, but I’m more worried about coverage then output. 

Thanks for finding the pictures. I searched but apparently looked for the wrong thing 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, D.J. said:

Oh perfect. Those are the AI mounts?

it is a lot of light... certainly more than I need, but I’m more worried about coverage then output. 

Thanks for finding the pictures. I searched but apparently looked for the wrong thing 

I believe so yes! Yeah and you'll be set when you want to upgrade to a bigger tank 😉

• 2 weeks later...

You're only lighting 13" tall tank. 

It's only 12" wide and only about 15" long (front to back) at the top.

With a 1-2" sand bed, that places corals no further than 10" from the top of your tank.

Assuming your corals are on rocks that boost them at least 2-3 inches off the sand, that places them more like 6-8" from the top.

Almost any reef light will work in that small amount of space.

For example, if you run an 18" Current USA Orbit IC (one strip) or IC Pro (dual strips) flat on top of the tank, is should look great (ie be mostly invisible) and give your corals great light. 

You could almost get away with a non-IC orbit in such a shallow tank, so you could consider starting there, or with just a single Orbit IC instead of the Pro kit.   You could add on to either one later. 

The orbit is slightly too long at 18"...but the lamp itself is actually under 17" and your display space just just under 16"...so only a shade too long.

• Like 1