Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

how should I run my all in one

Pennstate Reefer

Pennstate Reefer

I am new to all on one tanks.   I have a bio cube 32 led with up graded Steve’s led.  I run the biocube skimmer new version, intank media basket with floss, purigon and chem blue in that order from top to bottom.  Stock return pump.  Don’t really care for the skimmer cause I can’t get rid of micro bubbles.  Skimmer is junk in my opinion. I have been reading a lot on here about all in ones.  I work on the road and only can tend to the tank on weekends.  It’s actually the wife’s tank for her home office.  So my question is I would like recommendations on how to set up the back so I don’t have issues stripping all the nutrients out of the water and I would love to get rid of the skimmer if I don’t need it.  I do run the stock top cause the wife likes the clean look.  And has anyone else had an issue with instant ocean salt purple lid being in consistent.  Every time I do a 10% water change it seems to drive cal alk and mag all down instead of replenishing. 

GetPsyched2124

the instant ocean purple lid salt is meant for fish only/non coral systems. those levels are lower in that salt mix. Even more so if you're mixing it at a salinity level that the directions give (which i believe is 1.022). That's probably why your cal, alk, and mag are low. if you stick with instant ocean, you'll need the instant ocean reef crystals, (orange top). that will replenish those levels.

There are so many ways to do a nano/pico, which can start to get confusing, even contradictory. Lol.

I have struggled keeping nutrients in my nano's so I slowly reduced the amount of media use.

I run a little bit of carbon, a small amount if purigen, and floss. 

I am slowly removing purigen from 1 tank because my nitrates drop when i use it and I feed that tank heavily.

I only use phosphate reducers when needed and small amounts with frequent monitoring of nutrients.

I have macro algae in my display to help and plan to do chaeto now in the back chamber for more natural nutrient export.

I use no skimmers on any of my tanks. Waterchanges every 7-10 days.

Personally I always found instant ocean and reef Crystal very inconsistent. There are also no batch controls with it, which I don't like. 

3 hours ago, Pennstate Reefer said:

Yes I think I am going to switch to the Red Sea pro salt reviews on it seem to be pretty good

Salt is particular to user.

Some love instant Ocean and Reef Crystal's, some love RSCP.

Just remember with RSCP, alk is often between 10-13

You probably don’t need a skimmer at this point if the tank is new, and may never need one. I use the old model Biocube skimmer in my 16 and it works fine, but I was thinking of trying to switch to the new model so I don’t have to buy the replacement airstones, but I haven’t seen many reviews on it yet. What’s going on with the micro bubbles?

I’ve been using Reef Crystals most of the time on my tank... switched to RSCP for a while and liked it but ended up switching back to Reef Crystals mainly because that’s what all my LFSs use. I’m just about to switch to Tropic Marin though, after seeing the BRS review:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/best-of-2019-salt-mix/

23 hours ago, banasophia said:

You probably don’t need a skimmer at this point if the tank is new, and may never need one. I use the old model Biocube skimmer in my 16 and it works fine, but I was thinking of trying to switch to the new model so I don’t have to buy the replacement airstones, but I haven’t seen many reviews on it yet. What’s going on with the micro bubbles?

I’ve been using Reef Crystals most of the time on my tank... switched to RSCP for a while and liked it but ended up switching back to Reef Crystals mainly because that’s what all my LFSs use. I’m just about to switch to Tropic Marin though, after seeing the BRS review:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/best-of-2019-salt-mix/

I switched to tropic Marin a while ago, it’s good stuff. It leaves my mixing/storage 44g brute trash can clean even after it sits for 3-4 weeks. I clean it out after about 3 fill ups so 2-3months. Alkalinity is sort of low bucket says 7, mine usually measures out around 6.6-6.4dkh and I keep my 40b at 10-10.5dkh.

• Wow 1
On 12/5/2019 at 12:52 PM, Pennstate Reefer said:

And has anyone else had an issue with instant ocean salt purple lid being in consistent.

Large containers like buckets allow lots of settling, relatively speaking.

Buckets with liner bags probably hold the product tighter than no-liner products so might have less of an issue.   (I think only imported salts have liners...anyone know of exceptions?)

For best results, you either need to mix up your dry salt in its container before using it the first time, or buy an appropriately sized package of salt that you can use all at once.  (As intended.)  

I.e.  To avoid the issue, if you're using small amounts of salt at once time, such as for a BioCube, then avoid the larger sizes (200 Gal box, 160 Gal bucket) and instead get the 10 Gallon size Instant Ocean box and use it up all at once in something like two five gallon buckets or a ten gallon Brute garbage can. 

IOSSGroup1212jpg17175332280x2280.jpg?w=600&h=600&bc=white

Perfect every time if you use the whole package, no matter whether there is settling or not.

On 12/5/2019 at 1:21 PM, Pennstate Reefer said:

Time for some more research.  

Red Sea and Instant Ocean have roughly analogous products: one with average, only slightly elevated levels (yes, Instant Ocean has elevated levels too)....one with significantly elevated levels.  Plain Tropic Marin is roughly similar to plain IO.  I'm not sure if TM has one that's "super enhanced" like Reef Crystals in their lineup.

In terms of leaving residue, my understanding is that it is related to the trace elements in the mix....there's some clay....probably as a chelator? 

If you avoid heating, excessive mixing and (maybe) excessive storing, then you might never even see the residue issue.  (But then it seems like a lot of folks both over-mix and heat their saltwater like this.  <-- Don't do it this way....sez right in the vid it takes at least twice as long as "my ways"...keep reading.)

Mix your seawater just until it's 100% clear and then use it.  (Goes for IO and TM at least....not sure why it wouldn't apply to most brands.)  

For best mixing results use a mixing paddle or your hand

I have a 36" long TAMCO...not expensive...easy to DIY something similar (or use your hand....no joke)....and it only takes 5 minutes for a bucket.....around 10 minutes for a whole 50 gallon barrel of saltwater.

Tamco® HDPE & Polypropylene Mixing Paddles

A pump or another more conventional method "will work" to mix saltwater.

But conventional methods usually aren't actually that good and cause some of the need for excessive mixing and waiting. 

With a mixing paddle or my hand, I can have a bucket of IO or RC ready to use in just about 5 minutes on the dot.   The only way I found that I could do it that fast with a pump was with a specialized pump setup.  See vids below.

Mixing with a paddle (5 min....no time-lapse):

Mixing with a pump (top-mounted, aimed down -- the only really good pump method AFAIK; 5 min....no time-lapse😞

Edited by mcarroll
missing part
  • Thanks 1
On 12/5/2019 at 12:52 PM, Pennstate Reefer said:

Skimmer is junk in my opinion.

It's probably fine.  They are sensitive to changes in water level AND to being new though.   If its surrounding water level is solid and it's had a few months (at most) to break in, then it should be able to be bubble-free.  Check it's mounting height. Off-hand I'd suspect that maybe the media basket is somehow messing with the water levels back there.   If so, I'd ditch the media basket and keep the skimmer.  (I'd be temped to ditch that whole stack of stuff and the basket even if the skimmer was working fine.  Might be a call for it later.  Shouldn't be while the tank is new tho.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2019 at 12:08 PM, GetPsyched2124 said:

the instant ocean purple lid salt is meant for fish only/non coral systems. those levels are lower in that salt mix. Even more so if you're mixing it at a salinity level that the directions give (which i believe is 1.022). That's probably why your cal, alk, and mag are low. if you stick with instant ocean, you'll need the instant ocean reef crystals, (orange top). that will replenish those levels.

While new here, I've been maintaining reef tanks since 2003 (Reef Central and local forum). I disagree that Instant Ocean (IO) is for fish only tanks as I (and many others) have successfully used to maintain a reef tank full of SPS using IO. Reef Crystals (RC) does have elevated levels, however many who dose question whether the increased cost of RC is justified as the additional elements are being added.

Mcarroll has a wonderful post here and salt brands should be researched to determine what works best for the user's specific needs.

-Eric

On 12/5/2019 at 1:08 PM, GetPsyched2124 said:

the instant ocean purple lid salt is meant for fish only/non coral systems. those levels are lower in that salt mix.....

That's probably why your cal, alk, and mag are low. if you stick with instant ocean, you'll need the instant ocean reef crystals, (orange top). that will replenish those levels.

This is just utterly wrong and you should edit your response for others reading this. Instant Ocean has been used for decades by hobbyists, public aquariums, and researchers for keeping coral and is by far the most economical choice for salt.

IO mixed to 1.026/35ppt/53mS will have an Alkalinity of 11dkh, 400ppt of Calcium, and 1320ppt of Magnesium. Those parameters are all perfectly within range for a healthy reef.

• Thanks 1
GetPsyched2124
15 minutes ago, jservedio said:

This is just utterly wrong and you should edit your response for others reading this. Instant Ocean has been used for decades by hobbyists, public aquariums, and researchers for keeping coral and is by far the most economical choice for salt.

IO mixed to 1.026/35ppt/53mS will have an Alkalinity of 11dkh, 400ppt of Calcium, and 1320ppt of Magnesium. Those parameters are all perfectly within range for a healthy reef.

42 minutes ago, llebcire said:

While new here, I've been maintaining reef tanks since 2003 (Reef Central and local forum). I disagree that Instant Ocean (IO) is for fish only tanks as I (and many others) have successfully used to maintain a reef tank full of SPS using IO. Reef Crystals (RC) does have elevated levels, however many who dose question whether the increased cost of RC is justified as the additional elements are being added.

Mcarroll has a wonderful post here and salt brands should be researched to determine what works best for the user's specific needs.

-Eric

Instead of just editing the post, I just crossed out the whole thing. after reading my post again, yeah that wasn't good info.

• Thanks 1