Cultivated Reef

Tab0012’s New RedReefer 170

tab0012

Hey Everyone!

New guy to the club, been reading, watching and shopping for a while and finally found a great deal on CL locally here in Orlando. I got a RedReefer 170 almost fully set up for $300! (Tank, Stand, Sump, ATO, red octopus pump, seaside aquatics skimmer, and Kessil A160) I feel like I got a great deal. Luckily for me I have not one but two WWC stores within 20min from my house and am considering the winter park location my LFS. They have been super helpful so far and I am on day 3 of 14 of my cycle with some live rock and pink sand. Everything seems to be going great but I wanted to take the chance to gather some more information during these next two weeks before I start the stocking process. Obviously the Kessil is off right now but I am thinking that with a mixed reef setup I am going to need some more light. I am considering adding another A160 and adding a hydra in the middle with the Kessil’s on the edge angled to focus under the ledges of my aquas cape eventually.

So first question, does that seem overkill? I feel like it would give me some more options and flexibility. 

Question two, I have seen mixed answers on what is best practice on nano tanks or any tank for that matter. Do I need to worry about running carbon and UV and some of the other more involved setups that you can evolve into or should I keep it simple and just do weekly water changes (I’m planning on 10-20% a week), test frequently and have good lighting and flow (planning to add two mp10’s)

I am not planning on doing any automation or dosing systems or anything right now as I learn the hobby I feel it is better to do things manually until I know what I am doing with confidence. Is this a bad decision?

Below are some pictures of the setup as well as some pictures of the overflow and sump which have some growth in there that I unfortunately did not clean before filling which may have been a bad thing, it was just an oversight on my part. Does the sump need to be super clean, same question goes for the skimmer and overflow? If so what is the best way to clean these? I would like to do whatever maintenance that is needed in this few weeks time that I have while the skimmer is not running and there is no livestock in the tank.

I know that is a lot so I will stop there and wait for some replies to continue the discussion. I look forward to getting involved in the group and hopefully meeting some of you in the CFL area. 

Best Regards,  

TB

Oh BTW here is my dream stock list. Please feel free to comment good or bad.

2 Mochavinci Clowns

1 Flame angel - small

1 Coral beauty - small 

(hoping I can introduce both dwarf angels together in a juvenile state and they will get along, I have read it is possible if you introduce them together) please give me your input on this! 

*my father has a 150G fish only tank 30min away the angels would go to when they get too big

Thats all the livestock I think I will add for the first couple months until things are really stable and I can get them used to feeding then I will start to add frags, at least that is the plan. I am looking for suggestions for any inverts that might be beneficial.

Thanks in advance again!

BF6C8F98-6DCB-4C30-B9BE-0933E03FCA3A.jpeg

975931D1-25D8-4EDE-B373-17FBD4D8E219.jpeg

60C22B42-4DBA-4A83-9EB5-ED3C23447B0A.jpeg

2E1E7AC5-3F78-4AB4-B47C-B3720C9190C4.jpeg

3BD42B2A-B9A7-4D46-894B-35DA240478DD.jpeg

• Like 2
1 hour ago, tab0012 said:

Hey Everyone!

New guy to the club, been reading, watching and shopping for a while and finally found a great deal on CL locally here in Orlando. I got a RedReefer 170 almost fully set up for $300! (Tank, Stand, Sump, ATO, red octopus pump, seaside aquatics skimmer, and Kessil A160) I feel like I got a great deal. Luckily for me I have not one but two WWC stores within 20min from my house and am considering the winter park location my LFS. They have been super helpful so far and I am on day 3 of 14 of my cycle with some live rock and pink sand. Everything seems to be going great but I wanted to take the chance to gather some more information during these next two weeks before I start the stocking process. Obviously the Kessil is off right now but I am thinking that with a mixed reef setup I am going to need some more light. I am considering adding another A160 and adding a hydra in the middle with the Kessil’s on the edge angled to focus under the ledges of my aquas cape eventually.

So first question, does that seem overkill? I feel like it would give me some more options and flexibility. 

Question two, I have seen mixed answers on what is best practice on nano tanks or any tank for that matter. Do I need to worry about running carbon and UV and some of the other more involved setups that you can evolve into or should I keep it simple and just do weekly water changes (I’m planning on 10-20% a week), test frequently and have good lighting and flow (planning to add two mp10’s)

I am not planning on doing any automation or dosing systems or anything right now as I learn the hobby I feel it is better to do things manually until I know what I am doing with confidence. Is this a bad decision?

Below are some pictures of the setup as well as some pictures of the overflow and sump which have some growth in there that I unfortunately did not clean before filling which may have been a bad thing, it was just an oversight on my part. Does the sump need to be super clean, same question goes for the skimmer and overflow? If so what is the best way to clean these? I would like to do whatever maintenance that is needed in this few weeks time that I have while the skimmer is not running and there is no livestock in the tank.

I know that is a lot so I will stop there and wait for some replies to continue the discussion. I look forward to getting involved in the group and hopefully meeting some of you in the CFL area. 

Best Regards,  

TB

Oh BTW here is my dream stock list. Please feel free to comment good or bad.

2 Mochavinci Clowns

1 Flame angel - small

1 Coral beauty - small 

(hoping I can introduce both dwarf angels together in a juvenile state and they will get along, I have read it is possible if you introduce them together) please give me your input on this! 

*my father has a 150G fish only tank 30min away the angels would go to when they get too big

Thats all the livestock I think I will add for the first couple months until things are really stable and I can get them used to feeding then I will start to add frags, at least that is the plan. I am looking for suggestions for any inverts that might be beneficial.

Thanks in advance again!

BF6C8F98-6DCB-4C30-B9BE-0933E03FCA3A.jpeg

975931D1-25D8-4EDE-B373-17FBD4D8E219.jpeg

60C22B42-4DBA-4A83-9EB5-ED3C23447B0A.jpeg

2E1E7AC5-3F78-4AB4-B47C-B3720C9190C4.jpeg

3BD42B2A-B9A7-4D46-894B-35DA240478DD.jpeg

Welcome to NR! 😊

The good news is that you can run a reef a million different ways and still be successful. I run my tanks with bare bones equipment because I like to keep things simple and easy. 

• Like 1

:welcome: to Nano-Reef.com.

While it might be possible to keep two dwarf angels as you describe, I'm not sure that is the best option (especially since you plan to keep corals).  I'd limit it to one and hope it doesn't become a coral nipper.

• Like 1

Thanks I think I will go the simple and easy route as well. At least to start out, if I need to do anything down the road I can make adjustments. 

Thanks Seabass, we will see about the angels, it will be a decision I make a few weeks down the road. 

• Like 1