ReefCleaners.org

Cube wave pump. Need advice.

w00dman

Hi,

I’m really getting frustrated getting a good flow. I’ve a 70x70x35cm (27”x27”x13”) about 200L (52Gal), sump included, mainly built for LPS. 
I can’t get a good wave pump. 
I’ve tried the new TMC reef tide 4000s x2 and they barely move the water. 

below a video of they at full power continuous. 

thought this was to weak changed for the 8000s. They were to strong. Below a video of the at the minimum on continuous mode.

Now I’m stuck. Don’t know if change back to the 4000?!

What do you think on one Maxspect xf330?

Remember, this is a cube to be dominated by LPS. 

thanks. 

That's actually quite a lot of flow @40x your tank volume per-hour (before factoring in how much of your volume is in your sump), position matters and so does the mode you select. I would get them off the back wall, point them upward towards the surface, and try mounting them -pointing at each other- from the sides of your tank, probably near the front or in the middle, and see what kind of flow you get.
Looking at the movement of your frogspawn at the front of the tank I'd say you're likely already getting more than enough flow as-is, you want just enough to occasionally "rustle" the tentacles of your Euphyllia, any more than that can cause them to not-fully open up, tissue recession, or micro-tears.

• Like 1

I don't think any of the wide-angle pumps like that are the best option for such a shallow and wide tank.  The Gyre or any of the Tunze nanostreams would be better options IMO. 

For example the Tunze 6045 is extremely powerful and versatile for only $78....two or three would be excellent.  This is my all-time favorite pump.

Turbelle® nanostream® 6045

For controllable, either 6040's or 6055's would probably be my go-to...possibly in some combination. 

One 6040 for the back-center with two 6045's (one on each back side, left and right) would be a sweet setup and only run about $280.  A simple pair of 6040's or 6045's or even 6055's would also be good options IMO. 

Lots of possibilities for a tank and rock layout like yours. 

Tunze even makes live rock front-covers for their pumps so you could place a pump right in with your rocks if you want:

Nanostream® Rock

Nanostream® Rock

• Like 3

I don’t like the Tunze because they’re flow options are very limited. They are cheap (very quality product) but they don’t have a controller. 

I’m on to get the Xf330. Is there any better option on your thoughts?

who have cubes? What do you use?

On 11/30/2019 at 11:39 PM, mcarroll said:

I don't think any of the wide-angle pumps like that are the best option for such a shallow and wide tank.  The Gyre or any of the Tunze nanostreams would be better options IMO. 

For example the Tunze 6045 is extremely powerful and versatile for only $78....two or three would be excellent.  This is my all-time favorite pump.

Turbelle® nanostream® 6045

For controllable, either 6040's or 6055's would probably be my go-to...possibly in some combination. 

One 6040 for the back-center with two 6045's (one on each back side, left and right) would be a sweet setup and only run about $280.  A simple pair of 6040's or 6045's or even 6055's would also be good options IMO. 

Lots of possibilities for a tank and rock layout like yours. 

Tunze even makes live rock front-covers for their pumps so you could place a pump right in with your rocks if you want:

Nanostream® Rock

Nanostream® Rock

Those are cool, might have to rethink new tank plans now i seen these

• Like 2
On 12/1/2019 at 8:42 AM, w00dman said:

I don’t like the Tunze because they’re flow options are very limited.

I'm not sure what you mean by limited?

The Gyres seem to be fine pumps performance-wise so I don't think you'll necessarily have flow problems if you pick it...but it's more limited than a similarly-priced Tunze in every way I can think of.

Compared to a Tunze 6105, for example, the Xf330 is more expensive, delivers less GPH and can barely be aimed (limiting placement options) just to name some things off the top of my head.

The Tunze 6150 (aka Stream 3) is probably more comparable to the Xf330 in that it's a little pricier and a little more limited in its ability to be aimed, but it also delivers even more GPH than the 6105, and it's overall design lends itself to placement wherever it's convenient/hidden.  Placement options with Gyre pumps are very limited.

Since you're only looking at a 37 gallon cube that's VERY low (13" high), and 27" across, IMO all the pumps mentioned here so far are WAY WAY overkill.

The original Tunze's I suggested (in some combination) or a pair of the smaller gyre-type pumps would be more ideal vs the Xf330.  Again IMO.

$108 for a pair of Tunze 6025's would be the best cheap way out IMO.

$142 for a pair of the similar/stronger 6045's.

$240 or so for a pair of smaller IceCap's.

$280 for a pair of Tunze 6040's

....bigger than that is possible, but would be heading back into the range of overkill for a tank of this size.

The cheaper non-controllable pumps can all be outfitted with a pair of inexpensive appliance timers (or controller) that will switch the pumps on/off to emulate tidal flows, eliminate dead spots and make corals HAPPY.

Since you specified LPS, I think a dual 6040 setup might be one of the most ideal.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...