Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

? on refractomerer solution

sadie

I am LOVING my new refractometer!  I calibrated it once when I got it and EVERY time I take it out it is still spot on!

Also, I found out the problem was NOT my other refractometer, but my solution. 😬 Not sure how long solution lasts, but the one I was using was from 2015 when I purchased the other refractometer.  I pulled out the old one (kept it as a back up) and tried it with the new solution and it was on.  But that one had to be recalibrated EVERY time I used it.  I am not sorry I bought a new one.

How long does the solution last for?

I don't know exactly how long they last but closing the lid immediately helps lengthen its lifespan 

I thought my refractometer was going because every week I was calibrating it, it turned out to be my solution which was only a yr old.

3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I don't know exactly how long they last but closing the lid immediately helps lengthen its lifespan 

I thought my refractometer was going because every week I was calibrating it, it turned out to be my solution which was only a yr old.

haha, I always put the cover on it as soon as I can, for fear of spilling it!😆  (not that I'm a clutz...)  I guess I will check mine maybe every 6 months or so.  How would you check it?  If I did have the new solution, I wouldn't have know the other solution was bad.

1 hour ago, sadie said:

haha, I always put the cover on it as soon as I can, for fear of spilling it!😆  (not that I'm a clutz...)  I guess I will check mine maybe every 6 months or so.  How would you check it?  If I did have the new solution, I wouldn't have know the other solution was bad.

That's how I figured it out, I decided to buy a new bottle(different brand) and that's how I figured it out. I no longer had to recalibrate every week. 

I also always put the cap back on for the same reasons except I can be clutzy at times😁...

• Like 1