Top Shelf Aquatics

Favourite test kits?

NaturallyKait

NaturallyKait

I’m eyeing up grabbing some new test kits during Black Friday sales. I’ve been working on the API master kit I bought for cycling but I don’t like it and never planned to use it long term. 

I’ve been eyeing up Hanna checkers for phos and alk, but what are people’s favourite kits for nitrate, calcium and mag? I’ve heard negative things about the calcium Hanna checkers? I was thinking maybe Red Sea kits but I don’t know if they have issues I don’t know about. 

I've used most that are available. Honestly Api has been pretty much the same results as the others with ca, alk, and nitrates.

I love hanna for phos because I found trying to determine the blues of salifert very difficult and annoying with their phos and 99% of the time I got 0. 

I also like their alk because it's so easy and fast and I test alk the most.

Alk- hanna

Phos - hanna ulr

Nitrate- salifert 

Ca - salifert 

Mag - salifert

• Thanks 1
NaturallyKait
6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I've used most that are available. Honestly Api has been pretty much the same results as the others with ca, alk, and nitrates.

I love hanna for phos because I found trying to determine the blues of salifert very difficult and annoying with their phos and 99% of the time I got 0. 

I also like their alk because it's so easy and fast and I test alk the most.

Alk- hanna

Phos - hanna ulr

Nitrate- salifert 

Ca - salifert 

Mag - salifert

The API tests I find leaky and hard to read (although I haven’t tried the calcium and mag ones, just the basic ammonia, nitrite, nitrate etc.) but they always seemed accurate. Salifert was another brand on my potentials list so I’ll have another look at them, thanks!