Cultivated Reef

Infected coral?!? Like polys but yellow root mix between a red and purple top

Caitlin and James

Looks like palythoas to me, they come in many colors. 

Aiptasia-X is supposed to work well. Do NOT boil the rocks, and be careful handling them, palys are toxic. Really, be careful handling any reef rock (you should wear dishwashing gloves), to prevent bacteria-infected scrapes. But be especially careful with rocks that have palythoas. 

14 hours ago, Tired said:

Looks like palythoas to me, they come in many colors. 

Aiptasia-X is supposed to work well. Do NOT boil the rocks, and be careful handling them, palys are toxic. Really, be careful handling any reef rock (you should wear dishwashing gloves), to prevent bacteria-infected scrapes. But be especially careful with rocks that have palythoas. 

This for sure.

We always worry about palytoxin but there is alot of stuff in sw to be concerned with.

I live nearish the Gulf Coast, and if you go wading in shallow water, you do NOT walk on the oysters. Aside from the fact that it's bad for them, they're sharp. If you do walk on them and get cut, you immediately go to shore and rinse the cut with antiseptic, fast. Because guess what? Shallow, warm water around Texas (and probably in other areas) sometimes means the oysters have flesh-eating bacteria on them. There's all sorts of nasty things that grow in saltwater. You can get a potentially fatal bacterial infection from a reef tank if you cut yourself and get unlucky with the bacteria on the rock! Palythoas, meanwhile, will make you unhappy but not dead if you cut yourself and get the slime in it. 

By the way, general life advice for everyone: if the area around a fresh wound is slightly swollen and red, that's fine. That just means your immune system notices the bacteria and goes "ah! let's get these!" at everything. Cat scratches do that basically all the time. If it goes away within a few hours, you're fine. If a wound ever gets hot, swelling that wasn't there before appears, or it starts to turn any kind of color other than "skin", you likely need to see a doctor about it, because those are signs of infection. Same for pus. If you get red streaks around the wound or anywhere near it, you very likely have blood poisoning, and need to go to the emergency room AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. That goes for ANY wound, regardless of where you got it. 

Oh, and rabies is 100% fatal once symptoms start, while I'm on wound advice. Also, tetanus is a disease that lives in many places outside, not just on rusty metal. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tired said:

I live nearish the Gulf Coast, and if you go wading in shallow water, you do NOT walk on the oysters. Aside from the fact that it's bad for them, they're sharp. If you do walk on them and get cut, you immediately go to shore and rinse the cut with antiseptic, fast. Because guess what? Shallow, warm water around Texas (and probably in other areas) sometimes means the oysters have flesh-eating bacteria on them. There's all sorts of nasty things that grow in saltwater. You can get a potentially fatal bacterial infection from a reef tank if you cut yourself and get unlucky with the bacteria on the rock! Palythoas, meanwhile, will make you unhappy but not dead if you cut yourself and get the slime in it. 

By the way, general life advice for everyone: if the area around a fresh wound is slightly swollen and red, that's fine. That just means your immune system notices the bacteria and goes "ah! let's get these!" at everything. Cat scratches do that basically all the time. If it goes away within a few hours, you're fine. If a wound ever gets hot, swelling that wasn't there before appears, or it starts to turn any kind of color other than "skin", you likely need to see a doctor about it, because those are signs of infection. Same for pus. If you get red streaks around the wound or anywhere near it, you very likely have blood poisoning, and need to go to the emergency room AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. That goes for ANY wound, regardless of where you got it. 

Oh, and rabies is 100% fatal once symptoms start, while I'm on wound advice. Also, tetanus is a disease that lives in many places outside, not just on rusty metal. 

Very good advice.

Thank you for sharing.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

I don’t think he’s talking about the white polyps, I think he’s talking about the small red polyps? The small red ones look like a type of nem, but I’m not certain it’s a aptasia or not? The stem looks different 

• Thanks 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
2 hours ago, Tired said:

Both of those look like palys to me, just with some of them stretched out taller.

They look like nems to me, bc aren’t palys usually closer together and kinda linked together? He said that they spread all around his tank. The only thing I think can do that is a nem? I don’t think palys can spread around the tank like those are. I may also be wrong🤷‍♂️