inTank Media Baskets

Yellow watchman goby strange behavior

MDUllrich

Hello all,

Looking to get some advice. My yellow watchman goby has been acting strangely for the last few days. He has been in the tank for about 2 months and was spending most of his time near the sand bed with no issues. I got a pistol shrimp about a week ago and initially they were living together in the pistol shrimps hole but then a few days ago the goby is now spending 99% of his time in the tank sitting in the upper right corner (see picture). I do monthly water changes and my water parameters are as follows and have been consistently at or near the ranges below for the last 4-5 months...

SG 1.025

pH 8.2

dKH 9

Calcium 440

Phos 0

Nitrate 5-10

Nitrite 0

Ammonia 0

Other inhabitants of the tank are a clownfish, coral beauty, and cleaner shrimp not including the cleanup crew (banded trochus, scarlet reef hermits, cerith)

Any ideas on what might be wrong with him?

Thanks for your advice

MVIMG_20191105_155152.jpg

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

Maybe the angel or clown are bullying it?

I thought about that but the goby had been in tank for a few months with no issues so I would think if they were going to bully him they would have done it from the start

3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Do you still hear the pistol clicking? Maybe they havent hit it off yet and the goby is re exploring?

The goby and shrimp were living in the shrimps hole together for a few days. I don't hear the shrimp but I see the sand getting moved around each day and there is evidence he is still alive.

Did the pistol shrimp happen to go to where the Goby was “living” automatically?  This could be the reason why it may have seemed that they were together - and they really weren’t.  So the Goby could have to get readjusted, and maybe find a spot where he’s not being “bothered”.  Just putting some thoughts out there, as I have never had that happen.  🤔

• Like 1

How are things now? I have the same pair. I have witnessed my goby doing the same time to time but not recently. I'd just wait it out. As long as there is no fin rips and his breath isn't rapid I'd just keep and eye on him. 

• Like 1