Innovative Marine Aquariums

mdannyg's UNS 90L

mdannyg

Well, it's been almost 10 years since I started my first nano reef, a Mr Aqua 33 gallon.  I recently bought a house and decided to try something new since I'd have to take down the tank anyway. I always imagined I would go bigger when I had a house, but I decided to try a longer, shallower tank which is actually about 10 gallons smaller.  I really like the UNS 90L and am excited to play with the new dimensions, and have a bit of an easier time maintaining it.

newtank3.jpg.11b376d0e8812c8434afa85eae8e89e8.jpg

I hadn't posted a while on my last thread, but I had switched to some Tonga branch dry rock last year.  I never really had a rock scape I was happy with and didn't have too much in the way of new corals, so I didn't bother updating my thread. I decided to try moving that rock to this tank and I'm happy with how it looks, though I may change it up.   Right now I just have a few Ricordea, Zoas, an Acro and a couple Montis.  Fish are a Tailspot Blenny and a Pygmy Angel (probably a bit small of a tank for it though).  The overall setup is still the same with a 10 gallon sump, Nanobox Quad, Lifereef overflow box, ADA lily pipe, Vortech mp10. 

newtank5.thumb.jpg.4d586eb2a5785a07a50c44013b3cd8be.jpg

The always exciting leak test.

newtank1.jpg.374a658575df5399de1975ea1f668130.jpg

newtank4.jpg.6c445787aa1ecbc565704517615eb05e.jpg

Thanks for checking it out, and I hope to keep this more updated now!

• Like 3
21 hours ago, kimdawg said:

Very sleek looking set up.  I love the tonga rock work.  Can't wait to see what you add in there.

Thanks!  I actually was going to try some new live rock but decided to keep my Tonga branch since it looks like you can't really get it anymore. I also have some more of it that I never added that I may put in.  I can't wait to start adding more coral too. 

A couple more photos from this afternoon.  

daylightside.jpg.06f4646f1f3f34ff638350a193eee66f.jpg

daylight.jpg.eb5436c4515dbda1da1528c9accaefce.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work - that's a really clean looking setup - the branching rock looks really good and seems optimal with the bare bottom - it's awesome that you have more - looking forward to the updates

• 5 months later...

Thanks! I do need to take some new pictures of growth and color.  I haven't added anything new, but need to.  My tailspot blenny died though 😞 .

• 11 months later...

Time for a rare update from me.  I had my first tank crash a couple months ago and lost everything.  I hadn't been at the house for a few days and didn't have the A/C on, so the room was hot already, but then the heater I had been using I think was also malfunctioning because the sump felt hotter than ever. It was somewhere over 85 degrees which also caused a lot of evaporation and salinity spike    I switched out the heater with another that I had and now finally have the temperature in a good range. I had actually never been able to get my temp below 80 and I think that was probably why.    

After a few weeks of just water changes and getting things back to normal, I've started slowly adding things again.   I've been pretty inspired by Tigahboy and Brad so I'm trying more macros this time, and things that are a little less maintenance, at least until i get the SPS bug again.  I actually wonder now if my tank never did as well as it could have in the past because of the warm temperatures, so excited to see where it goes.  

fts3.18.21.jpg

corner3.18.21.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 year later...

Decided to post a couple photos after my last water change.  The macros from my last update didn't really last so I got a few sps frags earlier this year.  The digitata is doing pretty well.  The others are iffy, but still are showing growth.  The gorgonian has seen better days.   I do have a royal gramma now which I like, but seems to be the fussiest eating fish I've ever had. Won't eat anything off the bottom or top, only floating and won't grab anything further than a couple inches away.

Jul 2022 Corner.jpg

Jul 2022 FtS.jpg

• Like 1