Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hammer coral help

Hannahhhh

I upgraded tanks on Tuesday from a 13 gallon evo to a 30 gallon IM. All of my fish and corals did great with the move, with the exception of my hammer coral. 

It has three heads, one seems ok ish, but the other two are extremely deflated and dropping down. They seem somewhat disconnected with their coral skeleton (you can see a bit of the skeleton in one of the pictures). This coral has always had a tendency to occasionally “pout” but this seems worse than usual. 

What do you guys think I should do for it? I have it mounted in an area with a bit less light and less flow than it previously had, in hopes that this world help it adjust. I’m not sure if I should try upping the flow and light now, or doing the opposite and moving it to a more sheltered, darker area. 

There is no brown slime on it by the way. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I really like this coral and would be sad to loose it. 

7A7C04F7-5488-4014-97B9-3B48E0A94072.jpeg

A48B5BEA-7927-41B7-BE18-6F72090F671F.jpeg

I am definitely not the most experienced one on here to offer you help.  I posted a similar request for help last week after moving a hammer to a new tank.  But I will start you off by asking for more info for the others.  How did you cycle new tank?  Type of rock (dry, live)? Can you post some test results?  This is the info the other folks on here will probably ask you for first.

55 minutes ago, Opotter said:

I am definitely not the most experienced one on here to offer you help.  I posted a similar request for help last week after moving a hammer to a new tank.  But I will start you off by asking for more info for the others.  How did you cycle new tank?  Type of rock (dry, live)? Can you post some test results?  This is the info the other folks on here will probably ask you for first.

I didn’t need to cycle since I was moving the entire contents of my evo into the new tank including the live sand and live rocks etc. I had surgery on Wednesday so I haven’t been up to doing any water tests, but every other one of my corals is doing fine, including my torch, my other hammer, my leathers, mushrooms, zoas, acans, and more. I think whatever is going on with the injured hammer was caused by some sort of physical injury or from the stress of moving, and has nothing to do with water quality. Did you get any good advice?

6 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

I didn’t need to cycle since I was moving the entire contents of my evo into the new tank including the live sand and live rocks etc. I had surgery on Wednesday so I haven’t been up to doing any water tests, but every other one of my corals is doing fine, including my torch, my other hammer, my leathers, mushrooms, zoas, acans, and more. I think whatever is going on with the injured hammer was caused by some sort of physical injury or from the stress of moving, and has nothing to do with water quality. Did you get any good advice?

Monitor ammonia and alk. Alk changes can tick off lps.

Reusing an old sand bed(not sure if you washed the sand or not or added new sand but disturbing old sand without washing it and adding it to the new tank can cause a mini spike. 

Other than those 2 things, it just might he ticked off from being moved or not liking it's new placement.

Hope you recover quickly.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Monitor ammonia and alk. Alk changes can tick off lps.

Reusing an old sand bed(not sure if you washed the sand or not or added new sand but disturbing old sand without washing it and adding it to the new tank can cause a mini spike. 

Other than those 2 things, it just might he ticked off from being moved or not liking it's new placement.

Hope you recover quickly.

Thank you!

• Like 1